Are 50 cent beer drinking "Sihanoukville guys" driving Kampot restaurants broke?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Are 50 cent beer drinking "Sihanoukville guys" driving Kampot restaurants broke?

Post by bittermelon »

How much do those kegs cost?
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Re: Are 50 cent beer drinking "Sihanoukville guys" driving Kampot restaurants broke?

Post by snookie BRO »

I'm sure the restaurants are capable of saying to guests that they can drink as long as they order food in future.

Some places do have a big TV and are thus inundated with a cheap beer crowd when footballs on.
Rider of the storm.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Doesnt draft cost the bar around $0.25 a glass?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:37 pm Doesnt draft cost the bar around $0.25 a glass?
I thought it was around that mark. Doesn’t include overheads though.

I don’t have Facebook, are the restaurants in question the happy pizza places along the front, if so I am not sure I understand the complaint
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

Kampot was dead when I was there.

I guess it must have its moments though. But how long will that last before the Chinese take over?
Rider of the storm.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Funny thing is - on the one hand they blame us for driving prices up, on the other they call us cheap charlies. Oh the irony!
I can say, that, knowing personally most of the snookugees that moved here, they are generally a better off crowd ( financially) then the original inhabitants and generally the real cheap charlies moved to Koh Kong or Vietnam. There are a few CC snookugees here, but not many. My only real experience with 50c beer bars ( I make a point of avoiding them as I like my beer cold and I like intelligent, non drunken conversation) is the very odd beer at Chims. The vast majority of the older drinkers there, who do stay for hours and buy nothing else btw, tend to be the french guys that have lived there for ages.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

My brother and SHV refugee who opened a bar in the town outskirts has no such problem as natural selection regularly frees a regular’s stool, allowing another lucky kampot expat to become a new regular. With 3 rotations in his first year of operation it seems he was quick to attain the recommanded expat clientele renewal rate.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I've been here about 2-3 weeks and I've not witnessed this, granted I don't get out much as I find a comfy spot and enjoy my time. Plus the pool table is good and I'm currently winning about 70-80% of my games played one handed. Come at me bros
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:46 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:37 pm Doesnt draft cost the bar around $0.25 a glass?
I thought it was around that mark. Doesn’t include overheads though.

I don’t have Facebook, are the restaurants in question the happy pizza places along the front, if so I am not sure I understand the complaint
In reality you are losing money on 50-Cent beers if you are paying salaries, taxes, and the like.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

This place in Siem Reap has it figured out. 25 cent beer but you have to take it to go.

Locked Previous topicNext topic