What would you do

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

What would you do

Post by Duncan »

A lady I have known for about 10 years [ but had not seen for about one year ] asked me for $20 last week to get some medicine, so I gave it to her. She looks sick, very sick and I would take a guess that she is in the later stages of HIV positive. So this week I went to see her to take her to the doctor for blood tests and any medicine she required, but she refused to go. She speaks good English , so it was not a communication problem. She instead wanted $200 so she could go and see her father who is also old and not in good health. [ I gave her $100 ] Her father lives on the other side of the border down by Kampot in a area that was Cambodian , until the border post were moved.
She has a adopted daughter who is about 17 yo that lives with her in a shared room with others, neither are working and they own nothing, not even a phone. She told me she was going to SELL her daughter as she is '' original '' so she could get some money. I told her that I would be very angry with her if she did that, and I would not want to help her or see her again.
When they come back to PP next week she said she would give her daughter to me as she knows that I would look after her when she dies. She knows I already support several girls and wants me to send her daughter to school for a education.

There is one thing I don't want and that is the problems of an under age girl living with me.

So , what to do . where are the experts that can convince her to go to a doctor or a doctor that will visit her. Where are the NGO's with their, I want to save this girl from prostitution .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What would you do

Post by frank lee bent »

treatment for HIV is free in Cambodia, and one of the very few success stories in local medicine.
go and see Ross at Choice Cambodia weekdays at Sundance Inn in 172.
Ross helps families with HIV exclusively. He started doing it out of his own pocket and looks after many people now purely from mostly local business donations.
Ross takes no salary, he is perhaps a pensioner- and this is one NGO i can wholeheartedly endorse as genuine.
Some other members will back me up here.
If you are happy to sponsor this family through Choice, I am sure your money will be received- if you cannot- then i think Choice can still help this family.
It is better to get some distance from those you help for many reasons.
Choice has experience of successfully educating the young people of these HIV affected families.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i put in a big :thumb:
for CHOICE, http://www.choice-cambodia.org/, https://www.facebook.com/choice.cambodi ... riends_tab

Ross has down nothing but good for many.
and there are a few other members ( Rudy heads the list) that deserve Praise

I worked with them when they first started an went on many village trips to distribute food

as to your situation; find a Cambodian ( perhaps thru choice) to go speak with her, Cambodians, like thais, find it hard to speak truthfully and/or about things they consider personal with Barangs
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

It is a very satisfactory thing to make a difference personally.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:i put in a big :thumb:
for CHOICE, http://www.choice-cambodia.org/, https://www.facebook.com/choice.cambodi ... riends_tab

Ross has down nothing but good for many.
and there are a few other members ( Rudy heads the list) that deserve Praise

I worked with them when they first started an went on many village trips to distribute food

as to your situation; find a Cambodian ( perhaps thru choice) to go speak with her, Cambodians, like thais, find it hard to speak truthfully and/or about things they consider personal with Barangs

I called in at the Sundance, and was told Ross is hardly ever there, so sent a E/mail and it comes back ''failure to deliver ''

Next step of advise please ..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic