How to cook a steak.

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How to cook a steak.

Post by taabarang »

"A steak needs to sit for ten minutes after you cook it"

That may very well be true for the cuts you cook. Were I to wait 10 minutes for Khmer steaks to make this magical transformation, I would end up with a pair of shoes..
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:15 pm A steak needs to sit for ten minutes after you cook it. Allows it to warm through and rest, so you don't get a stone cold purple bit in the middle and it becomes less chewy. Sadly freezing them and posting them from Aus does affect the meat, you can't compare it to fresh. RIP the new Kampot abattoir, an excellent idea ruined. If you're back in the UK/EU you can get great steaks for no money in Aldi, half the price of them here.
:please: :facepalm:
If i waited 10 minutes AFTER cooking my medium rare steak, ( ...to warm???)
it'd be stone cold
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

phuketrichard wrote:
cptrelentless wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:15 pm A steak needs to sit for ten minutes after you cook it. Allows it to warm through and rest, so you don't get a stone cold purple bit in the middle and it becomes less chewy. Sadly freezing them and posting them from Aus does affect the meat, you can't compare it to fresh. RIP the new Kampot abattoir, an excellent idea ruined. If you're back in the UK/EU you can get great steaks for no money in Aldi, half the price of them here.
:please: :facepalm:
If i waited 10 minutes AFTER cooking my medium rare steak, ( ...to warm???)
it'd be stone cold

As he says number one mistake is not letting it rest. Erm...
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

An aldi just opened 200 yards from my house. The ribeye and Aberdeen angus steaks are awsome. Its transformed my eating and drinking. Good red wines for less than £5.

I like to cook mine in butter and pepper corns. Burnt on the outside bloody inside.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Seem as we are talking steaks..

A few years back i and 2 work mates were sent to Argentina/Patagonia on a job. On way to site stopped at a town called something like comodor rivedera. Steak n fries 3 times in a restaurant. The fries were more than the steaks.

On completion of the job a month later the boss of South American branch took us out for steaks in Buenos Aires. Lustancia steak house. Wow.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic