Cambodia Work Permit Renewal 2019

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Cambodia Work Permit Renewal 2019

Post by xandreu »

I know we have until the end of March to renew our work permits for 2019, but out of interest, I thought I'd give the online portal a go rather than go through an agent this time and save a few bucks.

It didn't go well. The second question asks who you work for and it seems that unless your company is in their database, you can't progress. Considering my company begins with the word 'Cambodia', there is surprisingly few companies that come up when you type that in. There appears to be only a dozen or so companies with the word 'cam' in?

Anyone had any luck using the online portal before?

https://www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh/workers/register
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia Work Permit Renewal 2019

Post by Brody »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:43 pm I thought I'd give the online portal a go rather than go through an agent this time
I read this to say, that for last years work permit you used an agent to get it done, is that correct?

What does it say on your work permit card as far as your employer, etc? Because as far as I am aware, the typical agencies can only process 'freelancer' / 'self employed' work permits.

If that is the case then you'd have to try the "Self Employed" registration tab on the portal.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia Work Permit Renewal 2019

Post by xandreu »

Brody wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:43 pm I thought I'd give the online portal a go rather than go through an agent this time
I read this to say, that for last years work permit you used an agent to get it done, is that correct?

What does it say on your work permit card as far as your employer, etc? Because as far as I am aware, the typical agencies can only process 'freelancer' / 'self employed' work permits.

If that is the case then you'd have to try the "Self Employed" registration tab on the portal.
You're right. I did use an agent last time. They asked me for my work contract and a letter from my company confirming that I was employed there, so I assumed I was listed as employed as opposed to self employed, but it does say on the back of my WP that I'm self employed. I could well be - depends on the definition of self employed out here??

Anyway, the self employed tab of the portal does seem a bit easier to navigate. I didn't think to consider that, so thanks :)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic