English speaking skills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

English speaking skills

Post by King Keil »

I have to say I am sometimes surprised at the english that is spoken in some supermarkets here.
In Aeon Mall the female cashier spoke a very polite english and I am wondering if they are really fluent or only good at their subject.
It is a low paid job after all.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: English speaking skills

Post by explorer »

I dont know the person you met.

Some people speak English very well.

Many people speak English quite well.

Many others dont speak English well.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:15 pm I dont know the person you met.

Some people speak English very well.

Many people speak English quite well.

Many others dont speak English well.
And some speak English in a jumble of words as if it was a Google Translate.

This is the one reason I dont speak any Khmer in front of my family . Some speak and understand English very well especially my 9 year old girl.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are some people who speak English pronounced the way it sounds when it is written with Khmer letters. When they talk to you, you can understand them. But they cant understand the accent of native English speakers. So when you talk to them they cant understand a lot of what you say. If you have conversations with them over a few months, at the end of that time most will understand most of what you say.

There are thousands of students who would benefit by talking to native English speakers. If you enjoy that type of thing, say hello to students, and and talk to them. Most will appreciate it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

And some speak English in a jumble of words as if it was a Google Translate.
I met a family recently. One of them was a teenage girl. She spoke quite a lot of English, but not 100%. I spoke to them in English, as I like to help people practice English. I think I was the only foreigner this girl had ever spoken to. When she didnt know how to say something, she would ask other family members in Khmer how to say it in English. At one point she asked them how to say: I like you like a father, and I want you to like me like a child. Nobody could figure out how to say it in English, so she got her phone out and typed it into Google translate. Then she showed me the translation in English. The translation said: Ask her to have a baby.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

:facepalm: :please:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:43 pm I met a family recently. One of them was a teenage girl. She spoke quite a lot of English, but not 100%. I spoke to them in English, as I like to help people practice English. I think I was the only foreigner this girl had ever spoken to. When she didnt know how to say something, she would ask other family members in Khmer how to say it in English. At one point she asked them how to say: I like you like a father, and I want you to like me like a child. Nobody could figure out how to say it in English, so she got her phone out and typed it into Google translate. Then she showed me the translation in English. The translation said: Ask her to have a baby.
You asked for an example, well, here's one you wrote yesterday.

Not only is extremely (and I mean E X T R E M E L Y) unlikely a Khmer teenage girl would use the phrase 'I like you like a father and I want you to like me like a child' (even more unlikely in the context you described), but Google translate will also come up with a more or less understandable translation instead with 'ask her to have a baby'.

So I consider your post above 'simply not true'. Just like a number of other posts you made in the past.

I don't care if you post generic or imaginary stories, to each his own, but please don't act like being some expert and then misinform people.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Because you were not there and did not see it, it is not true.

Why dont you focus on making positive contributions to the forum.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Personally I found Kammekor's rebuttal of your post quite rational, enlightening and therefore positive. There are Khmer speakers on this forum who simply abhor your fabrications. You've no right at all to tell other posters what to focus on,I.e. please don't comment on my fantasies.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 am Because you were not there and did not see it, it is not true.

Why dont you focus on making positive contributions to the forum.
I didn't need to be present to make a judgement, I have a first-hand observation. From you.

Sorry, I consider separating fantasies presented as expert observations from reality a positive contribution too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic