Human rights situation for LGBT community in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Human rights situation for LGBT community in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

For anyone who's interested in LGBT rights, human rights or evolutions in Khmer society, there is a download here on the CCHR newsletter for Sept 2014, entitled Discrimation against LGBT people in the Cambodian legal framework.

http://cchrcambodia.org/index_old.php?u ... id=61&id=5

Raises interesting questions on the right to be different, which mostly contradict my ideas that Khmer society is totally accepting of it's LGBT members.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Human rights situation for LGBT community in Cambodia

Post by StroppyChops »

I always assumed LGBT was especially welcome in the Kingdom - what's your view, AM?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Shit Stroppy, just spent half an hour raving on about LGBTs in Cambodia and various stuff that the report brings up - and I'm not logged in ?? Dammit.

So, real quick reply now: yeah, I agree that things are relatively cool here for LGBTs. But, the point of the report is that they have no legal existence. It’s not a question of persecution, or hysterical homophobia, but of LGBTs not feeling accepted socially because of the lack of legal recognition. There's nothing against them, but nothing "for" them either. Same-sex couples have no rights as a couple etc.

I can see their point, and I'm all for equality, but also would say that this is very much a middle-class combat. Not to belittle it - social dignity is precious too.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote:Shit Stroppy, just spent half an hour raving on about LGBTs in Cambodia and various stuff that the report brings up - and I'm not logged in ?? Dammit.
I'll bet it was pure poetry, too.

I have LGBT friends (yep, every category) but this is one of very few topics that I don't wade into in public debate - too volatile, and ends up in religious bash and counter bash. Happy to chat over a beer though.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes, well you've probably gained a couple of minutes to do something more exciting :beer2:

Just thought the CCHR point of view interesting as it wasn't something that is usually thought to be a problem here. Human rights in Cambodia is not just street kids, sex-workers and land-grabs? Well,well.

Also thought it might be of interest to any LGBT people in the expat community.

Cheers.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote:Also thought it might be of interest to any LGBT people in the expat community.
I'm sure it would be and I hope you/they have a great discussion about it. Cheers.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Lets keep promoting homosexuality. The world will be a better place! With Bacterial Meningitis, AIDS and the complete downfall of society.

You will see 1 day...young boys marrying old men. This is where it starts.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sorry won't bite.
If it doesn't interest you then don't read it.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

If the king isn't even comfortable coming out, I imagine that says something about the people.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic