is Cambodia full of bored alcoholics?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: is Cambodia full of bored alcoholics?

Post by Arget »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:19 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:17 am
snookie BRO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 am
The strange thing is that some people do find drinking Alcohol to excess MEANINGFUL, and the fact that Cambodia is cheap in that regard is one very big reason why there are so many piss heads in Phnom Penhs 172 and 52 streets...etc.
I think you meant 51? I went through there on Saturday evening and it was mostly dead.The only strange thing is how you and BKKTrapper think a couple of streets frequented by tourists are somehow representative of a whole country.
Drinking is a number 1# favourite pass time for barang.

Cannot deny that.
yes i can............................. =@
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

snookie BRO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:45 pm I tend to agree with that.

There is no denying that Cambodia is a magnet for digital nomads who love the Cambodians coffee culture.
What does that mean, coffee culture?
I’m not sure Cambodia has a coffee culture.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:03 pm
snookie BRO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:45 pm I tend to agree with that.

There is no denying that Cambodia is a magnet for digital nomads who love the Cambodians coffee culture.
What does that mean, coffee culture?
I’m not sure Cambodia has a coffee culture.
You're joking right? Phnom Penh is awash with coffee shops full of budding Khmer coffee aficionados. :D

Business Insider: Coffee culture perks up market
Cambodia has followed much of the rest of the world to embrace a coffee culture, putting a higher emphasis on high quality coffee products. The Post’s Cheng Sokhorng sat down with Kim Chhean, business development director of Kofi Co Ltd, to discuss how the local coffee industry has grown in recent years and trends in the market.https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... rks-market

The 10 Best Coffee Shops and Cafes in Boeung Keng Kang, Cambodia
The Boeung Keng Kang 1 – referred to as BKK1 – area of Phnom Penh is packed full of coffee shops, with more seemingly opening by the week. Here are the 10 best spots to get your caffeine fix in BKK1.https://theculturetrip.com/asia/cambodi ... -cambodia/

Coffee culture in the capital
Boasting everything from specialty roasts to Starbucks, the capital has received a serious shot of caffeine in recent years. Writer Joanna Mayhew delves into the city’s roaring coffee trade. Photography by Lucas Veuve.

Enter any of Phnom Penh’s many Brown cafés, and it’s immediately evident how sophisticated the country’s coffee scene has become. Filled out with plush leather couches, chic wooden furniture and old-fashioned grinders, the well-designed and efficiently run shops serve up a variety of caffeine-laden drinks – consistent in taste at each outlet – to a steady flow of customers https://www.asialifemagazine.com/cambod ... e-capital/

Creating a coffee culture with a ‘Khmer touch’

Home-grown success story Brown Coffee is taking on the international brands pouring into Cambodia. An oasis of air-conditioned sophistication in the hubbub of Phnom Penh, home-grown Brown Coffee’s appeal has not gone unnoticed by a new generation of Cambodians craving the comforts of a Western-style coffee chain. In the twin stores mirrored across Street 51 in the city’s centre, members of the Kingdom’s young middle class sit in rapt conversation, iPhones stacked carelessly on the tabletop before them, cappuccinos cooling at their elbows.http://sea-globe.com/cambodias-coffee-revolution/

Siem Reap: Sipping Coffee, Visiting Temples

It seems like you can find a small family-owned cart serving coffee on every corner of Siem Reap, a town made famous for its proximity to Angkor Wat. Stop off at one and, for around US $1, you can have a potent mix of brewed coffee and sweetened condensed milk over ice.

In between all these coffee carts, you’ll also find numerous café’s serving mostly espresso-based beverages and food. As tourism has grown, so too has the number of coffee shops. Many of the Cambodian-owned ones cater to the budget-conscious tourist seeking a no-frills pick-me-up. https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2018/ ... -cambodia/
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I thought pretty much every major city in the world has multitudes of coffee shops.
Not sure you could define it as a “culture”.

But ok.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 pm I thought pretty much every major city in the world has multitudes of coffee shops.

But ok.

I thought pretty much every major SEA city had multitudes of no neck poms and chang beer singlet aussies swirling beer at ungodly hours of the Morning.

Then I realised I was correct.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 pm I thought pretty much every major city in the world has multitudes of coffee shops.

But ok.
It's just showing you that the idea that PP is full of bored boozers is misguided.

In fact plenty expats drink coffee instead as Cambodia is now stepping into a CAFE culture which is somethong new and trendy for the kingdom.

Peeps prefer the environment too. It's no wonder 172 attracts piss heads. The place itself makes you want to drink!

:stir:
Rider of the storm.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Ah.
I drink coffee or tea (British hangup) and G&T (Also from my time in Britain).

Haven’t drank beer for 15 years.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

davegorman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:13 pm Ah.
I drink coffee or tea (British hangup) and G&T (Also from my time in Britain).

Haven’t drank beer for 15 years.
That's very British. Sir.

Good to hear from someone who doesn't drink beer 24/7
Rider of the storm.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

snookie BRO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 pm Good to hear from someone who doesn't drink beer 24/7
Beerinthemorning or BKKTrapper is the only poster on here who seems to do that. I'd like to think most of us have other stuff to do, at least during the day. Idle minds and all that. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

One thing is for sure though. It seems wrong to say Cambodia is full of bored drunks.

Where is the proof that all drunks in Cambodia are actually bored?

More to the point, would some of them find it offensive if they were compared to the antics of certain,ahem; controversial forum posters "known to drink"?

:hattip:
Rider of the storm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic