White Bitches Make Miss Cambodia Cry

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: White Bitches Make Miss Cambodia Cry

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

takeoman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 pm On the plus side the American has been named and shamed in the Guardian this morning. :hattip:
Miss USA apologizes for mocking rivals' English-speaking skills
Fri 14 Dec 2018 22.00 GMT
The woman who holds the Miss USA 2018 title has apologized after she was captured on video mocking two of her fellow competitors for their English-speaking skills.

In a video posted to Instagram, Sarah Rose Summers made light of Nat Rern, Miss Cambodia and H’Hen Nie, Miss Vietnam. In the video, she said of Nie: “She’s so cute and she pretends to know so much English and then you ask her a question after having a whole conversation with her and she goes …” she said before mimicking a confused nod and smile.

Then Summers makes fun of another contestant for not speaking English, apparently unaware that the language is not universally understood around the world.

“Miss Cambodia is here and doesn’t speak any English and not a single other person speaks her language. Can you imagine?” she said. “Francesca said that would be so isolating and I said yes and just confusing all the time.”

Colombia’s Valeria Morales and Australia’s Francesca Hung also appear in the videos laughing along with Summers.

Among the many people on social media to register offense at the comments was the popular Instagram account Diet Prada whose repost of the video, taken from Morales’s account, has since gone viral.

“This is basically what normalized xenophobia looks like,” they wrote. “If she’s trying to show empathy, the condescending, intolerant tone tells a different story. A reminder that you’re participating in a competition in a country/continent where English is NOT the primary language.”

After a spate of backlash, Summers offered an apology on Friday.

The Miss Universe competition “is an opportunity for women from around the world to learn about each other’s cultures, life experiences, and views,” she wrote. “We all come from different backgrounds and can grow alongside one another.”

“In a moment where I intended to admire the courage of a few of my sisters, I said something that I now realize can be perceived as not respectful, and I apologize. My life, friendships, and career revolve around me being a compassionate and empathetic woman. I would never intend to hurt another.”

Summers’ apology may be enough to stem the controversy but the entire ordeal is a reminder that it doesn’t matter how beautiful you are, the stereotype of the ugly American often holds true.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ompetitors
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Wait a minute, women being stupid making it into the media, I'd better go buy a lotto ticket.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Controversy at Miss Universe as competition stumbles in post-MeToo world
The Telegraph•December 16, 2018
It was an inauspicious start to a carefully stage-managed event which claims to “be built on a foundation of inclusion and continues to be a celebration of diversity.”

Miss USA has been forced to apologise ahead of Sunday’s Miss Universe 2018 beauty pageant in Thailand after apparently mocking Miss Cambodia and Miss Vietnam for not being able to speak English.

Organisers have worked hard to redefine this year’s Miss Universe - which will be the 67th and the largest in the competition's history, with 94 women taking part - for a post-#MeToo era.
https://news.yahoo.com/controversy-miss ... 00347.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm Pity really they feel they have to look like barang for this, coz everyday you see genuine 100% khmer girls that are very attractive without any cosmetic surgery.. :bigeyes:
Seriously! Khmer women are some of the most naturally stunning women on earth.

The darker the skin, wider the nose, rounder the face, higher the cheekbones, the better, in my book at least.

I like'em ethnic

:bow: preach it brother, preach it!! :bow:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

In case you are interested in who won the contest, it was not Miss USA, who did not make it to the final round. However, Miss Vietnam did well despite (or because of ? ) her poor English. And incidentally, not a blonde in sight for the final five contestants, who were all dark-haired beauties.

Miss Universe 2018: Catriona Gray of the Philippines wins crown
16 December 2018
Bangkok — The Philippines' Catriona Gray was named Miss Universe 2018 in a competition concluding Monday in Bangkok, besting contestants from 93 other countries and delighting her home country.

The 24-year-old Gray wore a sparkling red dress she said is inspired by a volcano in the Philippines as she was handed the crown to the delight of a roaring crowd that generally favored Southeast Asian contestants.

She said she wore red because "when I was 13 my mom said she had a dream that I would win Miss Universe in a red dress." She said her mom cried when they saw each other after she won the competition.

Gray edged out first runner-up Tamaryn Green of South Africa and third-place Sthefany Gutierrez of Venezuela. She succeeds Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters of South Africa.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miss-unive ... 018-12-16/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Reminds me of the time my high school english teacher was told by the principal to change out of her red dress coz it would inflame young boys passions.. :la_rose:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Women by nature hate other girls that look better than them. They are catty and competitive. The whole beauty industry notches all of that up 1000% and while they know how to ACT sweet and smile, what kind of ego does it take to want to enter and win a beauty pageant. Inside they are as ugly as sin, and I would not expect anything less from any of those bitches.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

18 December 2018
A number of Khmer news outlets are saying today that the Cambodian public is proud of Miss Cambodia's presentation at Miss Universe and they think she did a good job of representing the country, even if she didn't win.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Miss Phillipines is Australian. She comes from Cairns. Aren’t the Cambodians shocked at Miss Cambodia in a bikini?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

What a joke, she looks about as Cambodian as I do.. :tongue:

Same Miss Philippines..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic