Big fire .. old market i think

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Big fire .. old market i think

Post by timmydownawell »

fax wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:11 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:08 pm
fax wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:02 pm Do they even have land titles for those huts? It looks like the Vietnamese market community I had above an old apartment. They built without sangkat permission in the night and stole electricity. That's why they were living in huts like that on the roof, they were generally shitty people.
Wow. Judgemental much? Do you think people live like that if they don't have to? Maybe they are just poor? They almost certainly have nothing left now.
I know about my neighbours. Why don't you tell me about yours? I asked and instead of answering you're going to personal attack. I'm thinking you don't know them at all.
I don't know them. They live three buildings away + across a street, so I can see them from my place so are therefore my neighbours. I'm not to know whether they have title on their properties or not. But I did see them regularly hanging washing on the razor wire on the rooftop, and in their simple shacks through the massive cracks between the boards. They have a pretty basic existence.

What does it matter if they have title or if they are squatting up there? They are poor people who have suffered a huge loss and your response is they must be shitty people. :facepalm:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

#1 Do they have land titles for the rooftop?

#2 Who wired the electricity that caused the fire? Anyone but an EDC licensed electrician is forbidden by law to touch i for this reason.

The things above matter because regulation is in place for their safety. Squatters steal electricity with dodgy wires and think licensing requirements don't apply to them. Then their houses burn down because of electrical failure and you're calling me judgemental.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

fax wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 pm #1 Do they have land titles for the rooftop?

#2 Who wired the electricity that caused the fire? Anyone but an EDC licensed electrician is forbidden by law to touch i for this reason.

The things above matter because regulation is in place for their safety. Squatters steal electricity with dodgy wires and think licensing requirements don't apply to them. Then their houses burn down because of electrical failure and you're calling me judgemental.
1. Ask the Sangkat
2. The fire could easily have been caused by a $2 power strip. You don't need to be an EDC electrician to use those.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Right, basically you have no clue about anything but jump to namecalling because you have a big bleeding heart for illegal squatters.

Personally I feel more sympathy for the innocent neighbours. $2 power strips don't cause deadly fires in stone buildings. Don't have to be an electrical engineer to understand why a hut like the one in your pictures causes fire.

#3 Are they Vietnamese?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

This guy ran out of arguments so now he's stalking me across threads giving me negative karma for everything I write. I have a stalker, I should move to Phuket with Richard.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

fax wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:32 pm This guy ran out of arguments so now he's stalking me across threads giving me negative karma for everything I write. I have a stalker, I should move to Phuket with Richard.
If you're going to troll me across threads, get used to it.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

You responded with negative karma. Since you didn't want to discuss with me here I thought maybe somebody more knowledgeable than you could inform me in another thread about the same thing.

Did it make you jealous? You can still reply here if you want. I have had multiple power strips burn up and they are always abruptly put out when the fire burns the electrical wire for the power strip. I don't know how it works where you live but for me I only notice they've burned up because they don't work not because my house burns down and I lose all my belongings.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

In many Khmer homes, the power strip is often buried under a pile of papers, clothes, and other bits n pieces.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Username Taken wrote:In many Khmer homes, the power strip is often buried under a pile of papers, clothes, and other bits n pieces.
No, no, no. You said it wrong! Try this.

Many Khmer people are poor and uneducated.
Sometimes Khmer try and steal from you.
A lot of Khmer cannot afford clothes, paper and other bits and pieces.
If you go to the countryside you can often see bare wires, twitched together with no insulation.
Children are allowed to walk around, here in Cambodia.
Electricity can hurt you.
Sometimes, Khmer cook in their homes.
This is dangerous because they use fire.
..........or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

So it turns out someone I know is a friend of one of the people who lived up there (now staying with family in the provinces). Despite what the media reported, the fire was actually caused by a gas bottle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic