Theft tricks

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Theft tricks

Post by Kammekor »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am One tuktuk driver recently asked me how much I wanted to pay for the journey, turned out I named a price he was happy with and then I've even tipped him an extra 50c for plying his craft so well, have I fallen foul to the legendary scambodia and who should I report this too? I'm hoping there is some sort of admin but for the real world, does anyone know who this might be? Please PM if it's you
I for sure hope you paid in Riels, and not in USD. Otherwise, on top of this scam, the driver could also make 0.5% on the exchange rate.

Be careful out there people!!!!!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am One tuktuk driver recently asked me how much I wanted to pay for the journey, turned out I named a price he was happy with and then I've even tipped him an extra 50c for plying his craft so well, have I fallen foul to the legendary scambodia and who should I report this too? I'm hoping there is some sort of admin but for the real world, does anyone know who this might be? Please PM if it's you
I for sure hope you paid in Riels, and not in USD. Otherwise, on top of this scam, the driver could also make 0.5% on the exchange rate.

Be careful out there people!!!!!
Omg I'm being treated as a barangkaccount! I knew it!!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am
An inexperienced traveler arrives in a town. He gets a tuk tuk to a guest house. He tells the tuk tuk driver he needs change for $100. The tuk tuk driver offers to get change for him. When he comes back he says he was unable to get change, and returns $100. Some time later he realizes that it is one of those fake $100 bills they use for funerals. He is new to town and cant even identify the tuk tuk driver.
Have you actually experienced any of these, or is this just another episode of Tales from the Coffee Shop/Bar Stool (delete as appropriate)? :hattip:
[/quote]

:thumb: :thumb:
more urban myths....
written by someone trying to impress everyone with his "local" knowledge.
[/quote]

In all fairness, this exact thing happened to a guest staying me us last year. The only difference was, he could identify the tukkie. We went up and spoke to him and of course he denied it. With no proof, there was obviously nothing we could do.
It does beg the question " who would be stupid enough to give an unknown tuk tuk driver $100 and happily watch him drive off into the distance"?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Been happening since man first started trading in beads.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

awww, come on, this happens to tourists everywhere, its NOT Cambodian specific
The scams in Europe and New York are run everyday on someone
He gets a tuk tuk to a guest house. He tells the tuk tuk driver he needs change for $100. The tuk tuk driver offers to get change for him. When he comes back he says he was unable to get change, and returns $100.
1. what fool would let a tuk tuk driver out of his site with his $100 bill
2. some clueless Barang got a Chinese burn $100 bill an didn't notice the dif.?

been around forever;
3 card Monty
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And the biggest thief of all time is
Spoiler:
your government

Who would be so stupid as to give these guys all the money they demand from you and you get promises from them written in the sand.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:37 pm
davegorman wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm Don’t know what a lert is but I’ll ensure I become more so when out and about.

Also, that guy is English in a “comedy” about the war. I viewed it shortly and whilst I found the parody of Germans satisfying I didn’t find the joke about the French very funny.
They don’t even sound French when speaking English.

It’s true the French helped out the war fight and saved many “good guys”.
Looks like my image didn't show and I can't edit, so here's a repeat. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic