Ca road trip Tahoe to Bodie and back

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Ca road trip Tahoe to Bodie and back

Post by phuketrichard »

Traveling in the states is so dam easy, rent a car and head out. Unlike most of my trips, I shot no people.
But the scenery was fantastic
SFO-South Lake Tahoe- Bodie- Mono lake- North lake Tahoe
-
A sample
Topaz lake off of 395

1st view of South lake Tahoe

Bodie Ca, the most well preserved ghost town in the states

Tufa Formations at mono lake

for more; https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f439722203

Got to eat;
great Mexican, Thanksgiving dinner, IHOP, Dennys, Arbys, Fresh Salmon, MD crab cakes, Home made apple pie, Chinese take out

America is truly the land of the consumer....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Ca road trip Tahoe to Bodie and back

Post by Seasquatch »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm Traveling in the states is so dam easy, rent a car and head out. Unlike most of my trips, I shot no people.
Did some cross country road trips in my music days, 4 dudes and equipment crammed in an old chevy van, some of the best of times mixed in with some of the bad.

Looking to buy an old 2nd gen ford, three on the tree, customize it out, make my way for a Pacific Northwest roadtrip.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

Seasquatch wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm Traveling in the states is so dam easy, rent a car and head out. Unlike most of my trips, I shot no people.
Did some cross country road trips in my music days, 4 dudes and equipment crammed in an old chevy van, some of the best of times mixed in with some of the bad.

Looking to buy an old 2nd gen ford, three on the tree, customize it out, make my way for a Pacific Northwest roadtrip.
Go to the Polly Klaus auto auction. Look on the non-running side. Cars are cheeeeeeep!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm Unlike most of my trips, I shot no people.
Wow! :assasin:
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Rogue wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 am

Go to the Polly Klaus auto auction. Look on the non-running side. Cars are cheeeeeeep!
I found the foundation but couldn't find the auction. Doubt they'll have what I'm looking for as these old vans have collectors, and most have rotted/rusted out over the years - 2nd gen(68-74), v8, panel, short wheel base, 3 on the tree(keeps people from stealing it as few know how to drive it).
I'll be sure to airbrush mandatory rapey fantasy scene on the side :beer3:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by Rogue »

Seasquatch wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:46 pm
Rogue wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 am

I found the foundation but couldn't find the auction. Doubt they'll have what I'm looking for as these old vans have collectors, and most have rotted/rusted out over the years - 2nd gen(68-74), v8, panel, short wheel base, 3 on the tree(keeps people from stealing it as few know how to drive it).
I'll be sure to airbrush mandatory rapey fantasy scene on the side :beer3:
They used to be in Vallejo but I know they moved to a small town a bit more north. I found this - To donate to the Polly Klaas Foundation, please call them directly at 707 769 1334- on this website - https://www.donatecarusa.com/pkf-notice/ - so, apparently there are many non-profits that take donated cars and sell them at auction. Worth digging.

Edit: This guy's organization handles their donations, and he links back to donatecarusa.com. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_% ... _Palmer_Jr. Best of luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Been doing road trips in America & Mexico plus across Canada since the mid 60's;

Hitchhiking , Motorcycle, VW bug, VW Westfalia Camper, Old willy's jeep/camper (top speed was 50 miles/hour), train, 1968 327/325 hp chevelle,( that was a Fast 2 day trip lol)

Traveling in America by road is great, there some great books out there;
"travels with Charley"
"Blue highways"
"Lost Continent"
"the Americans" photo book by Robert Frank
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic