I have 8 days in Cambodia. What should I do.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
trutuyu
Tourist

Re: I have 8 days in Cambodia. What should I do.

Post by trutuyu »

Hello everyone, thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to follow all of your advice and stick to central/northern Cambodia. I think I'll do a couple days in PP and a couple of days in SR and maybe take a long route in between to see some of the countryside. I really enjoy reading all the activity on this site and whether I move to Cambodia or not I think I'm going to keep following this site just to stay up to date on the interesting topics I come across here. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my question. Thanks again.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Suggest Phnom Penh - Kratie - Siem Reap - PP as a basic tour. Thats about all you have time for. 2 nights in PP, minivan to Kratie (VIP minivan 4hours), 2 nights in Kratie to see Cambodian countryside and dolphins and do a homestay, then a VIP minivan to SR from Kratie over Stung Treng bridge is now about 6 hours (thats short lol) but lots to see, 2 nights in SR then fly or drive to PP.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

I'm going to disagree with those saying go north, with one proviso. That being that you have said you may potentially move here with your family.
For a short tour on your own, yes it will be great and you will experience all you listed as requirements. HOWEVER, to move here with young kids for a few months or potentially longer, you will not want to live there. The area's mention offer nothing. No health care, no education, no occasional western style treats for the kids.You are looking at a hard, arduous lifestyle. Fine for you perhaps, but maybe not so good for the kids.
I would (much as it pains me to say) agree with dropping the idea of Sihanoukville completely for the next few years at least. But I would recommend you spend a couple of nights in Kampot and at least a day or 2 in Kep. Kampot has decent education, health and living standards (all by Cambodian comparisons), Kep has the beach and is only a 25 minute ride to Kampot for the other things. For the possibility of longer or long term living, I think you need to check them out.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Double post sorry :hattip:
Last edited by Hotdigr on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

How old are your children? I'm a big fan of home schooling but if you are considering a lengthy stay here this should be something you may wish to look into more.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm How old are your children? I'm a big fan of home schooling but if you are considering a lengthy stay here this should be something you may wish to look into more.
I, respectfully, disagree. Unless you are living in an area with absolutely NO schools ( and even then, if you can afford it, you should consider boarding schools), then all you do is isolate your kids and make them "stand out from the pack" as such. All kids want to do is fit in and make friends.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

PP>Battambang>Siem Reap.

Personally, I think Battambang is a nice place to check out for a day or two on your way to Siem Reap. There's some really nice temples in the area that won't be overcrowded with tour groups. There's also several other attractions there to see that are worth checking out, like the bat cave, and some decent coffee shops.

Prasat Banan

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

my suggestions were for you to get away
BUT if ur going to look for a place possible to stay with your family, I'd agree with Hotdigr
Phnom Pehn and down to Kampot and Kep. Lovely area to live, BUT do note accommodations are not cheap for a family to rent if u want any kind of western comfort and although i would choose Kep to live, 90% of ur shopping will be in Kampot. 30 minutes away and a once every 2 week trip to PP, 2/1- 3 hours away, get a big fridge/freezer.

BUT you say,
Both my wife and I are highly educated and have been offered employment in Cambodia
so ur going to need look at the place you have been offered work?
Please tell us ur NOT a missionary.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
trutuyu
Tourist

Post by trutuyu »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic