Visa Run Poi Pet

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LostCambo
Tourist
Ireland

Visa Run Poi Pet

Post by LostCambo »

My EG visa expires on the 18th.

I'm living in Siem Reap, can I go to Poi Pet on the 18th and come back on $35 ordinary Visa the same day or do I need to stay a night in Thailand?

Thanks
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa Run Poi Pet

Post by timmydownawell »

If your current visa EOS is a multiple entry one you will (probably) have to stay overnight because otherwise when you come to re-enter it will still be valid. You could overstay a day and pay the $10 fine and then return, I guess. If it's single entry you can turn around and come straight back.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
LostCambo
Tourist
Ireland

Post by LostCambo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:19 pm If your current visa EOS is a multiple entry one you will (probably) have to stay overnight because otherwise when you come to re-enter it will still be valid. You could overstay a day and pay the $10 fine and then return, I guess. If it's single entry you can turn around and come straight back.
That makes sense, it is multi-entry. Agent had said I could do it same day but obviously I wasn't 100% sure that's why I came here, thanks.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

But poipet is the worst crossing to go to Thailand...
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

A Siem Reap expat has been posting hysterics on Facebook the last two days about new requirements from the Thais to enter Thailand and that he, a presumed bottomfeeder on a visa run, was denied entry at the land border and had to return to Siem Reap and fly to Bangkok. His story was short on helpful details.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

LostCambo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 pm My EG visa expires on the 18th.

I'm living in Siem Reap, can I go to Poi Pet on the 18th and come back on $35 ordinary Visa the same day or do I need to stay a night in Thailand?

Thanks
Ok This is my take on Poi Pet. I had HUGE problem there recently. But there is 2 things you need to do:
1) Make sure you are entitled to on border visa to Thailand. If you are not entitled is better to get visa in PP then go to the border crossing. If not they will ship you back and will not allow you to go to Thailand. If you dont have visa to Cambodia you will be in a huge DUDU.
2) Make sure you stay in Thailand 1 or 2 days. If you go back right away they will not let you pass. Also bring LOT of suitcases even if they are empty. If you go empty handed they might not let you go also.
Best of luck
P.S.
I have listed Poi Pet as NOT one of my favorite crossings :)
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I strongly recommend to ignore Gavinmac's stupid remarks and display of ignorance. I dont know the person he has an issue with but posting nonsense cant be excused.

Poipet will check the number of Thai stamps in your passport. The official and unofficial rules are as follows - based on my own experience and that of others:

1) maximum 2 land entries per year (that's official)
2) onward air ticket out Thailand (unofficial)
3) 20 K bath in cash or other currency (official, I think)
4) hotel reservation (unofficial)
5) "not too many days in THailand already" (unofficial)
6) if you say you live in Cambodia, valid Cambodian visa (unofficial)
7) some stated that "too many stamps" is also a reason for refusal (unofficial). I cant vouch for that. My passport has lots as I often commute through BKK.

This seems to be the minimum requirement. Even if you meet it you will have a hard time. In my case the officer gave up and let me pass with some unsolicited advice. In Europe I would have reported the person to the relevant authorities.

Much better solution: AVOID Poipet. Take a van to Along Veng and then a motorbike up the hill to the border. Probably faster, no waiting line at the border, and no reported troubles so far.

You can check also on the thaivisa forum about these problems. FLying into BKK might end with the same problems. Apparently Poipet and BKK are the two bad spots. Thus, I trust Phu Singh (Thai border checkpoint near Anlong Veng) should be ok. For BKK airport immigration they might ask you for a return ticket. Plenty of reports about this when arriving on Air Asia.

The other option is, of course, Vietnam especially if you qualify for a visa waiver. That would be a secure solution.

Finally, there is Laos. Direct vans to the border from Siem Reap. The ride is much shorter now but still a long way. The border has a bad reputation for over charging.

Perhaps you try Anlong Veng and give yourself some extra time on your current Cambodian visa. If Anlong Veng does not work out try vietnam or laos.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Pizzalover wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm I strongly recommend to ignore Gavinmac's stupid remarks and display of ignorance. I dont know the person he has an issue with but posting nonsense cant be excused.

What's with the insults? I simply posted that a Siem Reap expat was recently ranting and raving on Facebook about being denied entry to Thailand for a visa run due to supposed new restrictions that he didn't articulate. I'm not vouching for his mental clarity or anything.
AB101
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AB101 »

Who the heck is Gavinmac?

Rubs sleep out of eyes and realizes answer to own question.
All members are equal but some members are more equal than others
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Using an inquiry to call people bottomfeeder and having nothing else to say is stupid and the poster is obviously ignorant of the situation at Poipet and BKK. So better ignore the character.

I m not a bottomfeeder and the Thai immigration did not imply that. They are going after people suspected working in Thailand in the first line. And they do check the entire list, money alone does not cut it, a full service airline ticket alone is also not enough - they want out people who have a history of coming to Thailand often and staying there for some time.

Very recent somebody I know flew into BKK business class, planning to stay for 2-3 day, before continuing on another business class flight to HKG. He had reservations for a hotel that pretty much most of us, me included, wont be able to afford regularly if at all. He had an impressive pile of Euro bills with him and was dressed properly. He was initially denied entry and it took him a while to pass immigration. His offense was "too many stamps" and the officer was at first not considering the fact that most of the stamps were just for 1-2 days in the country. He might have argued that the guy is managing a business or something else to hold his ground. On his way out, the guy contacted a senior official at the airport as he wanted to understand the problem and how to avoid it in the future. All he got was a sort of weak apology blaming the officer. They follow an unofficial directive. It is political and anti-foreigner.

From other posts that I have seen it seems to me that this comes pretty much from the top and is here to stay with us. The rules of visa free entry to Thailand for expats in SEA or frequent visitors are put in doubt by the two major immigration offices in the country, BKK and Poipet. It will interesting to learn more about other locations. So far, smaller posts like the one I had suggested dont seem to participate in the scheme.

In sum, it would be really nice if people would reflect a little bit more about facts before putting on record their own sad mindset.

Gavinmac: As for the presumed insult, I really have no idea how I can possibly insult you. You went past that point a very long time ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic