Khmer ladies

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer ladies

Post by John Bingham »

A very ancient saying then, shrouded in the mists of Japanese folklore and legend.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 pm
The Japanese have a saying: A girl is like a Christmas cake. Everybody wants them before the 25th.
Christmas cake is a thing in Japan? 8-)

I think the key words here are girl and Christmas. The cake has a symbolical meaning of eating and I guess sexual activity (This is a late night post. I can not really sleep. So If I get 2-3 negatives on it is ok) :)
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 am A very ancient saying then, shrouded in the mists of Japanese folklore and legend.
It was Yankee Gaijin who brought on the Meiji restoration and before they went hermit the Pork and Cheeses flogged them boom sticks back in the 16th C. So they do know about JC's birthday.
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

I had a good long relationship with a cambodian lady in the past not too long ago.
For once I can tell you right now cambodian ladies are somewhat different from what have you; say a european woman.

So let us talk about the problems first because that is always why we bother writing about these females. The first thing I noticed after a while was that the woman was bound a lot by tradition and family matters, above all else. It is more so than back where I am from because when the dude comes in the male takes over the household.

Well it is not like this here. Here it is more like either you give in, are sweet, and give her what she wants, or you are out the door just like that. Same way you came in but even quicker, you know. So to put things in perspective. Good feelings are keeping everyone happy. Try saying that to a young budding male alone in a foreign land, trying to please his bride, their parents, and all of her siblings at the same time on some lame family get-together.

I have been there and I have went through it, and I have survived. And for that I am wholly grateful.

On the other hand what is good is the people, the tradition, and the parties. It's a stark contrast to sitting on stubchairs around the bonfire watching the evening glow fade out into the night.
lidsville
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by lidsville »

After dating a Khmer girl for some time I was taken aback by her superstitions, particularly dreams.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 pm Well over 30. It varies a lot from person to person.
<cut>
I don't think so, I'd say on average the age is 25, not 'well over 30'. 30 plus is considered pretty old for a girl in Khmer society and 30 plus she will no longer be looked at as a 'srey s'aat'. Most girls not married at the age of 25 start to worry a lot. And there's a reason, because generally the price will drop after that age.

Of course a lot of the girls married before the age of 25 will have gone through pregnancy and 'divorce' by the age of 25 but that's another topic.

For motherhood, it's another story. After a first 'marriage' often a second 'marriage' will come, with new breeds. Most Khmer males will not accept the children from the former husband, or mum is scared new dad will harm them, so those are often left elsewhere.

I wrote 'marriage' and 'divorce' because many many 'marriages' in Cambodia are never officially recorded, and hence so are the 'divorces'. The guy just drives off and that's the end of it. Although I know one case where the girl ran off.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 am
explorer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 pm Well over 30. It varies a lot from person to person.
<cut>
I don't think so, I'd say on average the age is 25, not 'well over 30'. 30 plus is considered pretty old for a girl in Khmer society and 30 plus she will no longer be looked at as a 'srey s'aat'. Most girls not married at the age of 25 start to worry a lot. And there's a reason, because generally the price will drop after that age.

Of course a lot of the girls married before the age of 25 will have gone through pregnancy and 'divorce' by the age of 25 but that's another topic.
agree
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cam Nivag had a funny saying about Khmer girls and their urgency to get married as they start to age:

It was something along the lines of "By the time a Khmer girl reaches 25 she'll marry a lamp post."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are a lot of Cambodians over 30 getting married. Most, but not all, are people who have been married before.

Most first marriages occur when they are in the late teens, or 20s. A significant number of marriages in the 20s are also people who have been married before.

So you could have a girl of 28 who is concerned about finding someone, and you could have a woman of 34 with children, who finds men are interested in her.

The girl of 28 has a real chance of meeting someone, depending on the type of person she is.

With most marriages, they have a wedding and do the paperwork. With a few marriages, they just move in together.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 pm There are a lot of Cambodians over 30 getting married. Most, but not all, are people who have been married before.

Most first marriages occur when they are in the late teens, or 20s. A significant number of marriages in the 20s are also people who have been married before.

So you could have a girl of 28 who is concerned about finding someone, and you could have a woman of 34 with children, who finds men are interested in her.

The girl of 28 has a real chance of meeting someone, depending on the type of person she is.

With most marriages, they have a wedding and do the paperwork. With a few marriages, they just move in together.
Check the official divorce rate for Cambodia, compare that to your day to day knowledge, and it simply can't be true most marriages are fully registered.

If there's an unregistered marriage, they usually don't just move in together, there will be an official wedding party, but no registration at the Sangkat (État civil).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic