General Queries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: General Queries

Post by khmerhamster »

epidemiks wrote:50kg bags of rice are $25-30. No shrewdness, wiley negotiation skills, nor repeat business required. Funnily enough, rice sellers sell shit loads of rice.
Yeah and most rice shops have the different grades marked. In my local, lowest price maybe $20 highest close to $40. I’m sure a khmer person could get a better deal but if you know the ballpark figure then maybe they’d just save a dollar or two on the bag.
These guys are selling rice all day, they want to sell and get rid of you so they can deal with the next customer. They don’t want to spend 15 mins negotiating the price with you.
Even better, after you buy there’ll be a skinny Khmer guy appear on a crappy daelim and if you live locally they’ll deliver for free.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

AdamS wrote:
Duncan wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:49 pm
AdamS wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm How much could a man see himself being able to purchase a 50kg bag of rice for from a small market if he were a shrewd businessman, and able to assure a regular purchase of the said amount? Guesstimations and estimations are both welcomed! :color

If he was a shrew businessman he would be buying the land and growing his own rice, thereby cutting out the middle man.
i dont want to cut out the middle man, i would like to pay him for his rice :stir: So is it safe to accept that $1 a kg is a solid price for rice?
Extremely solid. For them. They’ll be delighted to see you.
This shrewd person, it’s not you is it?
AdamS
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AdamS »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 am
AdamS wrote:
AdamS wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm How much could a man see himself being able to purchase a 50kg bag of rice for from a small market if he were a shrewd businessman, and able to assure a regular purchase of the said amount? Guesstimations and estimations are both welcomed! :color

If he was a shrew businessman he would be buying the land and growing his own rice, thereby cutting out the middle man.
i dont want to cut out the middle man, i would like to pay him for his rice :stir: So is it safe to accept that $1 a kg is a solid price for rice?
Extremely solid. For them. They’ll be delighted to see you.
This shrewd person, it’s not you is it?
Haha, debatable. Your swipe gives me more hope of getting the price down. From a dollar a kilo and below, I feel I am getting a fair deal. Good luck to the farmer making good on a westerner. No losers
'One child grows up to be, somebody who just loves to learn and another child grows up to be, somebody you just love to burn. Mum loves the both of them, you see it's in the blood.' :boxing:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Let us know how you go.
AdamS
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AdamS »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:56 pm Let us know how you go.
Will do :color
'One child grows up to be, somebody who just loves to learn and another child grows up to be, somebody you just love to burn. Mum loves the both of them, you see it's in the blood.' :boxing:
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

I guess if he was shrew beyond avarage, he would do also 3 times 40 days fasting per year. That would save a LOT of money also :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic