Visiting Preah Vihear

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Visiting Preah Vihear

Post by rozzieoz »

I’ll be visiting Preah Vihear over the Christmas break.
Please share any must-see / must-do tips.

I’m so excited I could just about explode.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visiting Preah Vihear

Post by Kampoochie »

That's awesome! I loved my trip up there, especially after a day bumping elbows with Chinese tourists at the main Angkorian ruins in Siem Reap.

Have fun!
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

Prasat Preah Vihear is an amazing temple and the big attraction there. Anlong Veng is about an hour or so away(if I remember correctly) and has a bunch of Khmer Rouge "attractions"; Pol Pot's cremation site, Ta Mok's house, Pol Pot's house, etc., if that interests you? There's also a really small ruins site half way between those towns that's pretty cool.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

My neighbour was in Preah Vihear earlier this year and was impressed. A long climb up a steep hill though. But apparently there are lots of guys with motor bikes who will ride you up for a fee. Just south of Preah Vihear is the Koh (Koah) Ker complex of temples that I visited earlier this year with friends from Stung Treng (also in Cambodia). This temple complex is the country's second largest after Angkor Archeological Park located at Siem Reap. The Koah Ker complex contains 20 visitable temples (out of 180) located on a ring road and completely in a jungle setting. A must see!!! Enjoy your trip.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Kampoochie wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:30 am That's awesome! I loved my trip up there, especially after a day bumping elbows with Chinese tourists at the main Angkorian ruins in Siem Reap.

How long was the drive from Siem Reap to Preah Vihear?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

View looking over Thailand

no way could you walk up that hill. $5 for the bike up. Make sure u bring ur passport

Its a nice temple, ( 2 hours is plenty of time to be there) and if its a clear day u can see a long ways, try an time ur trip to be in the late afternoon. After the temples head back to PV city for the night
Koh Ker is almost 2 hours south and usually a trip there on the way to PV is the way to go if leaving from SR.

Koh Ker
look closely at the tree on the bottom right near the temple an u cna see my daughter and gf:-)

From SR to PV with stops at Bang Mealea and Koh Ker is about 6-7 hours. so leave around 7-8 am an beat the Chinese tour bus's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Gator wrote:Prasat Preah Vihear is an amazing temple and the big attraction there. Anlong Veng is about an hour or so away(if I remember correctly) and has a bunch of Khmer Rouge "attractions"; Pol Pot's cremation site, Ta Mok's house, Pol Pot's house, etc., if that interests you? There's also a really small ruins site half way between those towns that's pretty cool.
Thank you so much for the info!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We need passports??
Do Khmer need passports?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

paul2d wrote:My neighbour was in Preah Vihear earlier this year and was impressed. A long climb up a steep hill though. But apparently there are lots of guys with motor bikes who will ride you up for a fee. Just south of Preah Vihear is the Koh (Koah) Ker complex of temples that I visited earlier this year with friends from Stung Treng (also in Cambodia). This temple complex is the country's second largest after Angkor Archeological Park located at Siem Reap. The Koah Ker complex contains 20 visitable temples (out of 180) located on a ring road and completely in a jungle setting. A must see!!! Enjoy your trip.
Thank you!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am We need passports??
Do Khmer need passports?
Yes,they put ur passport # in the book at the bottom
Khmers need id card
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic