English teacher from USA teaching in China for over 3 years, moving to Cambodia, what to expect?

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Siggy
Tourist
United States of America

English teacher from USA teaching in China for over 3 years, moving to Cambodia, what to expect?

Post by Siggy »

Hello everyone. New member here, just joined this forum and have been reading up on Cambodia and am quite intrigued by the country. I'm currently in China and have been here since May 2015 working as an English language teacher. It's been a mostly pleasant here so far and I've learned and lot and have had a lot of positive experiences but alas I feel that it's time for me to move after living here for more than 3 years now. The question now is "where to"? Cambodia seems like it may be the place. So does Vietnam or S. Korea or Thailand or Japan or just going back to the States after being abroad for that long. Being that this is a Cambodia forum, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some questions and concerns I have before I come to a decision regarding Cambodia, specifically Phnom Penh as that where I plan to move to if I come to this country and work.

I plan to primarily work as an English teacher here as well since that's what I've been doing in China quite extensively these past 3 years as well as tutoring International students for 2.5 years back when I was studying in College in the States. What is it like working as an English teacher in Cambodia? What kind of responsibilities should I expect to have working in this position? And yes I know most of what is required of a job is listed in most job postings already, albeit in a very abstract and non-specific way, but if it's anything like in China, those postings never tell the whole story. Also, what type of salary should a native speaker from the US with a degree in Psychology and more than 3 years experience teaching ESL should expect? I've heard figures of $1500 for beginners with no experience, some people saying $2500-$3000 for someone with experience, and some claiming $3500 and over for highly experienced teacher. Would greatly appreciate some input on this!

Also, how would most expats here summarize everyday life in Phnom Penh? How would you rate the music scene? How would you rate the Khmer language in terms of learning difficulty (do plan to pick up the local lingo if I live there)?
Siggy
Tourist
United States of America

Re: English teacher from USA teaching in China for over 3 years, moving to Cambodia, what to expect?

Post by Siggy »

Anyone???
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: English teacher from USA teaching in China for over 3 years, moving to Cambodia, what to expect?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Have you been to Cambodia at all ? Come for a holiday and see if you like it or not. It's probably different to what you expect.
However, if you speak mandarin, that could be a big plus for you, as far as jobs go. Being able to communicate with Chinese mainlanders is a sought after skill.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

Siggy wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:56 am Hello everyone. New member here, just joined this forum and have been reading up on Cambodia and am quite intrigued by the country. I'm currently in China and have been here since May 2015 working as an English language teacher. It's been a mostly pleasant here so far and I've learned and lot and have had a lot of positive experiences but alas I feel that it's time for me to move after living here for more than 3 years now. The question now is "where to"? Cambodia seems like it may be the place. So does Vietnam or S. Korea or Thailand or Japan or just going back to the States after being abroad for that long. Being that this is a Cambodia forum, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some questions and concerns I have before I come to a decision regarding Cambodia, specifically Phnom Penh as that where I plan to move to if I come to this country and work.

I plan to primarily work as an English teacher here as well since that's what I've been doing in China quite extensively these past 3 years as well as tutoring International students for 2.5 years back when I was studying in College in the States. What is it like working as an English teacher in Cambodia? What kind of responsibilities should I expect to have working in this position? And yes I know most of what is required of a job is listed in most job postings already, albeit in a very abstract and non-specific way, but if it's anything like in China, those postings never tell the whole story. Also, what type of salary should a native speaker from the US with a degree in Psychology and more than 3 years experience teaching ESL should expect? I've heard figures of $1500 for beginners with no experience, some people saying $2500-$3000 for someone with experience, and some claiming $3500 and over for highly experienced teacher. Would greatly appreciate some input on this!

Also, how would most expats here summarize everyday life in Phnom Penh? How would you rate the music scene? How would you rate the Khmer language in terms of learning difficulty (do plan to pick up the local lingo if I live there)?
You sound like you want to leave pretty quick. Are you doing a midnight runner? Either way, the pollution sucks there.

Cambodia is not a an ESL money pit. Do you have any ESL qualifications? DELTA, CELTA, TEOSL, TEFL, IELTS, etc.

You could probably start out at 800 to 1200 bucks if yer white. Just how much Mandarin do you speak? Do you speak Cantonese? Do you speak Fujian wa? Taiwanese?

China is not looking good right now, but they pay okay.

You'll have all the night life and music you want here .............. along with all the drugs and hookers that will give you unmentionable diseases.

Come on holiday and see how long it takes you to recover from the Kingdom of Wonder!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Also, what type of salary should a native speaker from the US with a degree in Psychology and more than 3 years experience teaching ESL should expect? I've heard figures of $1500 for beginners with no experience, some people saying $2500-$3000 for someone with experience, and some claiming $3500 and over for highly experienced teacher.
It sounds like you have good credentials and experience teaching. I'm no expert as I don't work in ESL, but I don't believe the salaries ever get too high. The only teachers I know here who are on good salaries with good benefits work for international schools, and they usually teach specialized subjects or have degrees in teaching. I'm not sure what your area of expertise is, but psychology wouldn't be high on the list of subjects taught here, perhaps unfortunately. It's still a very much a viable area that could open up all sorts of doors to you but unless you are directing a large school or tutoring princes I don't believe you will get that kind of money. Just trying to keep it real here bro. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

The food sucks and there are giant rats out at night.
Siggy
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Siggy »

@batshitcrazyweirdo haha I wouldn't say a midnight run as I plan to leave in 2-4 months but as you said China isn't looking too good right now, and it's true. Among the many reasons I wanna leave, pollution is high on that list. Just came back from Bangkok today and immediately am back to my coughing self after a hiatus from that in the Kingdom of Smiles. Money is pretty decent here TBH but nowadays doesn't feel like it's worth all the other hassles of living here; better horizons elsewhere. I unfortunately never got a certification like DELTA TESOL TEFL etc as my experience substituted for it so I never saw the need. But if it can lead to significantly better pay I'm all for getting a 120 hour online TEFL or something similar.
@Anchor Moy you mentioned speaking Mandarin and being able to communicate with Chinese Mainlanders is a sought after skill. I speak Putong Hua (mandarin) at a conversational level, enough to have some basic conversation, ask and answer questions but not enough to have political discussions etc. What type of opportunities does speaking Mandarin open up for someone in Cambodia?
I also asked about the music scene as I am a professional DJ as well and work from time to time as one here in Chengdu alongside the regular teaching job. Is there a market for foreign DJ's in Cambodia? Would it be feasible to do both things together there? What kind of jobs can foreigners get there other than teaching?
I suppose a holiday would be something I should consider before moving there. What I'm thinking of in terms of coming to Cambodia is to work( teaching and possibly DJing combo, or something more lucrative) and be able to make enough money to have a normal standard of living and save so at some point in the future I can open a small business of my own there, not a bar as I hear most people do and end up failing at, but more along the lines of consulting, heck even something in teaching. Partying, drugs, hookers etc is not really on my list; been there done that sort of thing when it comes to those haha. I suppose I come across as a bit of a bore now with work, money, and perhaps health on his mind. Is Cambodia is a good place for someone with my entrepreneurial intentions?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"open a small business of my own . . . . . . . . along the lines of consulting"

What kind of consulting? If you are suggesting that you have some skills as well as conversational Chinese, you could possibly find something worthwhile. But, keep in mind that the Chinese prefer to hire Chinese.

As for DJing, get out and about in PP after dark and see where you think you would fit in. Then take it from there.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

Siggy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm @batshitcrazyweirdo haha I wouldn't say a midnight run as I plan to leave in 2-4 months but as you said China isn't looking too good right now, and it's true. Among the many reasons I wanna leave, pollution is high on that list. Just came back from Bangkok today and immediately am back to my coughing self after a hiatus from that in the Kingdom of Smiles. Money is pretty decent here TBH but nowadays doesn't feel like it's worth all the other hassles of living here; better horizons elsewhere. I unfortunately never got a certification like DELTA TESOL TEFL etc as my experience substituted for it so I never saw the need. But if it can lead to significantly better pay I'm all for getting a 120 hour online TEFL or something similar.
@Anchor Moy you mentioned speaking Mandarin and being able to communicate with Chinese Mainlanders is a sought after skill. I speak Putong Hua (mandarin) at a conversational level, enough to have some basic conversation, ask and answer questions but not enough to have political discussions etc. What type of opportunities does speaking Mandarin open up for someone in Cambodia?
I also asked about the music scene as I am a professional DJ as well and work from time to time as one here in Chengdu alongside the regular teaching job. Is there a market for foreign DJ's in Cambodia? Would it be feasible to do both things together there? What kind of jobs can foreigners get there other than teaching?
I suppose a holiday would be something I should consider before moving there. What I'm thinking of in terms of coming to Cambodia is to work( teaching and possibly DJing combo, or something more lucrative) and be able to make enough money to have a normal standard of living and save so at some point in the future I can open a small business of my own there, not a bar as I hear most people do and end up failing at, but more along the lines of consulting, heck even something in teaching. Partying, drugs, hookers etc is not really on my list; been there done that sort of thing when it comes to those haha. I suppose I come across as a bit of a bore now with work, money, and perhaps health on his mind. Is Cambodia is a good place for someone with my entrepreneurial intentions?
So, you are doing a midnight runner. What province are you? I can help. Remember if you fuck it up bad, you will never get back. Do a midnight runner and you are blacklisted for 2 years, just in case you didn't know. Better register with police within 24 hours of any place you go, or ...... you are pretty much screwed.

You don't speak shit. You sound like you picked up some local dialect. Could help here, tho. Mandarin is pretty universal, but there are many different dialects in China. Since you have no qualifications ............... you have nada. Maybe practice some of that psychology here in Cambodia. God knows so many people here need it bad, like a drug!

Be careful when exiting. Just saying.
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

Siggy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm Just came back from Bangkok today...
You say that you are moving to Cambodia, although you have never visited, yet you "just came back from Bangkok today". Why on Earth did you not come to Cambodia???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic