Advice on Missing Person in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
djangokillah
Tourist
Australia

Advice on Missing Person in Phnom Penh

Post by djangokillah »

Hi All,

I'm having trouble locating my dad who is currently residing in Phnom Penh and I would really appreciate some assistance and/ or general advice on the matter.

My Dad's name is Ed Jurkiewicz (sometimes goes by the nickname 'Hollywood' or simply Ed) and he's a 59 y/o Australian. About 6'1 tall and average built with grey hair (sorry no recent photo to post). He has been living in Phnom Penh for about 7 years on and in between stints back in Australia. He is a heavy drinker and smoker and I imagine would have frequented establishments at Riverside or street 51 and alike. He also had a Khmer girlfriend called Sal for a long while, and although they are no longer together I know they are still in contact. Over the past seven years of living in Phnom Penh he has been in stages of both decent and dire financial health which I imagine would affect the lifestyle he has led at various stages while in Cambodia.

Anyway I have no idea where exactly he has been living recently but I am informed his current flat was somewhere near the Royal Palace in PP. I have been speaking to him a fair bit recently via Whatsapp and he has run out of money and was expressing suicidal ideations. He hasn't been active on Whatsapp since Saturday 1/12/18 when we last spoke when he was saying some pretty dark stuff and sounding very hopeless. I wouldn't be surprised if he has died in PP in the past few days (obviously I hope not but it seems to be a pretty common situation for old expat dudes unfortunately). It's been pretty stressful being unable to contact him but if anyone has information on the following I would appreciate if you could share on here;

His address.

Known associates.

Whether he's dead or alive.

Sal's phone number

The likelyhood of the Australian Consulate being informed if his landlord or neighbour etc. has found him dead somewhere.

The likelyhood of the Australian Consulate eventually informing me/ my family if he has passed away in Cambodia.

The general protocol when an Australian dies in Cambodia/ PP or when this sort of thing happens.

Any other advice on the matter.

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are answered elsewhere on the forum already!

P.s My name is Eddie and I am his son, I was involved in a pretty gnarly motorbike accident while riding between Kampot and PP about 5 years ago.. perhaps you might have heard my dad speak of this and may hopefully help jog someones memory?

Thanks in advance!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Advice on Missing Person in Phnom Penh

Post by davegorman »

There’s no news about your father passing away that I’ve seen Eddie.
Also you should contact the Australian embassy in PP as they are often contacted when a citizen is in distress etc.

You should join the PP Expats page on Facebook where you’ll get more results.

Good luck.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Does he drive an MC and order beers by the bucket to save the time it takes to wait?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

A photo would be useful, even if it is not recent. We may see people but not ask their names.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Why is he nicknamed Hollywood if he's Australian? That sounds like a nickname a guy gives himself. Like T-Bone.

Middle aged, heavy drinker and smoker, depressed, broke, that describes virtually every expat between Wat Phnom and Independence Monument.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

I knew Ed and know Sao pretty well.
I know he's been seen recently.
Let me see what I can find out. Will report back very soon.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

0k.
This morning he was at Sao's family house and was fine.
He said he was going back to Australia next week but I think was looking for a loan.

Sao is over the border in Thailand at the moment and they.are not in contact. The above information came from her nephew.
Sorry, I can't work out how to send a PM on this website.

I'll send someone to check on him tomorrow and tell him to contact you but in the meantime I don't think you need to worry. I'm also in Thailand at the mo. Or is go find him myself.
Regards.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

He's alive and kicking and well. I just spoke to him on someone else's phone.
I told him to contact you and why.
All the best.
Tim.
side
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by side »

We all love a happy ending.
Me, not that other crap.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy