I watched this...MOVIES!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: I watched this...MOVIES!

Post by Soi Dog »

Just watched Cloud Atlas for the first time. Can't say I particularly liked it. I give it credit for being different and very bold in scope, and it's a good looking movie. But the thread between each of the 6 storylines is quite thin, and not all of those different storylines are interesting enough. The only reason to watch would be sexy Korean actress Doona Bae. It's difficult to take your eyes off of her when she is on screen, which isn't nearly enough of the time.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

There's no good movies in the Summer. It's all crap for the kids who are out of school. The good shit gets released at the end of the year - so it''s remembered better come Awards time. Not so w/TV. There's some good shows on right now. I'm digging the Bridge (US), Hell On Wheels, The Knick, & the Leftovers. All really torrent worthy.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Remember that one ? The Train (1964) with Burt Lancaster.

Set in August 1944, the film sets French Resistance-member Labiche (Lancaster) against German Colonel von Waldheim (Scofield), who is attempting to move stolen art masterpieces by train to Germany. Inspiration for the scenes of the train's interception came from the real-life events surrounding train No. 40,044 as it was seized and examined by Lt. Alexandre Rosenberg of the Free French forces outside Paris.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

So far, the Hobbit movies have been disappointing. Had they come out before the LOTR series, they might have seemed more impressive. As it is, they just don't compare. A bit like the last 3 Star Wars films vs. the first 3.

Personally, I will be happy when the comic book super-hero genre has played out. I was never a fan, but unfortunately they just keep on coming.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The first was a bit dull. The 2nd was better though. The 3rd looks to be the one to see.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

just watched The Zero Theorum, terry gilliams new one. i didnt think it was great, its quite thought provoking though. i think i need to watch it again to understand it fully

clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

if you want to watch a comedy i highly recommend The Guard

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

vladimir wrote:Cannot recommend this film enough:

Soi Dog wrote:I missed it when it came out (2010) but I just watched Shutter Island with Leonardo DiCaprio and Ben Kingsley. Good performances and a few interesting plot twists.

Just watched these two movies last week. Great recommendations!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I watched Wolf Creek 2 last night for the first time and laughed through the whole thing. I recommend this as a bit of man comedy (and I hate most movies) - there's just something macabrely funny about John Jarratt as a serial killer, he was one of the two most loved early childhood presenters on Playschool to a couple of generations of Aussies. Oh, and the landscape is what I'm used to, so that's a plus. I suggest you screen this one before watching it with a Khmer partner, they might not get the nuanced humor. Quote of the move: "That'll do, pig."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Some parts of this are hilarious, the bragging by a group of backpackers at a bus stop makes watching the whole thing worthwhile, it should have been filmed in Le Bodge Penh

Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic