Mass Cheating in Shenzhen's Half Marathon

Title says it all really...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mass Cheating in Shenzhen's Half Marathon

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

'Deeply shameful': 258 runners caught cheating in Shenzhen's half marathon
Fake race numbers, imposters and those cutting corners to face penalties, including lifetime bans
Fri 30 Nov 2018 00.45 GMT

Organisers of the Shenzhen half-marathon have said the 258 participants caught cheating during Sunday’s race will not be able to run away from punishment for their actions.

As many as 18 runners were found to wearing fake bibs, and three were running on behalf of others. They face lifetime bans from the event, the Chinese Xinhua news agency reported.

The 237 others, most of whom had taken shortcuts during the race and were caught out by traffic cameras and local photographers, could be banned for two years.

In the most blatant case, a traffic camera caught runners turning round at least 1km before they were supposed to make a U-turn, potentially shaving about 10% off the 21km race.

Footage shows runners crossing through bushes and trees that separated two parts of the course.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... f-marathon
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Mass Cheating in Shenzhen's Half Marathon

Post by yong »

Bloody land of fakes
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Fake it till you make it
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

I just spotted Hanno cutting through the woods at the 14th second.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Muling has become a worldwide phenomena. There is a guy that spends his life catching cheaters and mules at the big marathons. Never saw the point of cheating one's self myself.
tarariverboat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by tarariverboat »

Cheating is Cheating, these people cheat not just themselves, but every other runner in the event, and the race itself, i am sure the organizers worked hard to promote this event just to have cheating idiots ruin it for every non cheat,
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

A friend and I cheated in a high school cross country race. We did it out of laziness, not wanting to run the full 5km and we found a shortcut that greatly reduced the length of the run. However, we cheated too well, finishing in the top 20 and receiving certificates.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

tarariverboat wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm Cheating is Cheating, these people cheat not just themselves, but every other runner in the event, and the race itself, i am sure the organizers worked hard to promote this event just to have cheating idiots ruin it for every non cheat,
Well yes, I agree but these are people that probably run the Half in more than 2 hours; not exactly going for a podium finish.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Shenzhen race organisers promise action against cheats
News of the cheating has caused outrage in China, prompting the People’s Daily to urge runners to “respect the marathon and respect sporting spirit” in an editorial.

A sharp rise in the number of events in recent years and mass participation has also been blamed for the problem.

China has held 1,072 marathons and road races this year, up from 22 in 2011, according to the Xinhua report, quoting figures from the Chinese Athletics Association. A user on China’s Twitter-like Weibo said: “There are too many marathons in China nowadays and too many so-called runners, but runners who really love running are still in short supply.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/554514/she ... st-cheats/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic