Too many people dying young

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Too many people dying young

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Cambodia attracts a fair amount of people who are Alcoholics, or into taking either potent pharmaceuticals/street drugs, or simply not looking after themselves properly.

I would assume that there's a far few deaths by suicide which may even be related to local scams carried out by non locals, and possibly other things going on that are yet to be proven.

It's a bit like Thailand where there are also similar scenarios. The "appartment diving" stuff seems to be catching on here as well.

Peeps need to tread carefully in unfamiliar places.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I cant see murder being profitable outside circumstances like the Korean guy
I would say most ppl here are worth more alive than dead.
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Re: American Kyle Robert Mills, 25, Dies in Siem Reap Hotel

Post by Rogue »

bvanfossen wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:32 am
Ricky Dunn wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 am Can one buy Fentanyl here? That shit will kill you quicker than a bullet.
This ^ is what i believe is killing most tourists here. Most dope bought off the street is actually fentanyl
It's more likely heroin which sellers are selling as coke. if it is fentanyl, it won't be for long. https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... y-fentanyl
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:44 pm I cant see murder being profitable outside circumstances like the Korean guy
I would say most ppl here are worth more alive than dead.
True.

This is a good thread. We should keep statistical checks on foreigners who die and compile a chart relating to causes.

The reasons described above are enough,and yes a lot is likely to be foreigners messing with recreational activities that are extra risky, especially where Alcohol is drank to excess.

(Most are described as Heart attacks. Now that is pretty suspicious for a start)

Now one could even in some cases call out the M word. .but where is the proof.?

Cambodia still clings to the "Wild West" label, for reasons like this.

But then again it's preeeety obvious when you're there that Cambo has definally a lot of foreigners living there that are not into a healthy lifestyle. That is their call. And it is Your call to choose your own way of living too if you don't want to end up like they do.
Rogue wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:04 pm
bvanfossen wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:32 am
Ricky Dunn wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 am Can one buy Fentanyl here? That shit will kill you quicker than a bullet.
This ^ is what i believe is killing most tourists here. Most dope bought off the street is actually fentanyl
It's more likely heroin which sellers are selling as coke. if it is fentanyl, it won't be for long. https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... y-fentanyl
It's unlikely they would do that in Cambodia. More likely to be China white instead. Butt who knows?

It would be interesting to see any "toxicology reports". if there were any.

:santa:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

With coke nearly 3-4x more expensive than smack, no wonder the guy on the corner is selling cut down smack to people

What i dont get is, all one needs do is put a small amount on ur finger and touch ur gums, Instantly u will know if it is ....or is not.... coke
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Richard, what happens when you touch ur gums? When you say 'gums', do you mean tongu e?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:13 pm Richard, what happens when you touch ur gums? When you say 'gums', do you mean tongu e?
Gums; are u serious?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:28 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:13 pm Richard, what happens when you touch ur gums? When you say 'gums', do you mean tongu e?
Gums; are u serious?
Whatever.

And what about the first question (or are we assumed to know the answer already)?
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Drug suppliers on the dark web have voluntarily started to ban the synthetic opioid fentanyl because they believe it is too dangerous, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Major operators have stopped selling the high-strength painkiller because of the sheer number of fatalities that have been linked to it, Vince O’Brien, one of the NCA’s leads on drugs, has claimed.

See:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 62846.html
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Cambodians are not likely to do serious investigations.

I suggest, when someone dies, and you are not sure what really happened.:

See if the embassy will do an investigation.

See if the family will do an investigation.

Find out about the person. Was the person using drugs? Was there anything else?

What is known about the person in the days and hours before their death?

Was the person with a girl, or anybody, before their death?

Was money stolen, or bank accounts emptied, around the time of death? Police in their home country should be able to get this information easily, if the use a bank account from their home country.

If it looks suspicious, or unknown:

See if the embassy or family will pay for tests to see if the person had any substances in their body which may have caused their death.

See if someone will pay for an autopsy in a country which will do it properly.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic