why so much disrespect for those recently passing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: why so much disrespect for those recently passing

Post by Barang chgout »

But it's fine for Bush to "kick the bucket".
I guess we assume his family won't be reading CEO lol!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:19 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm It has to be said the barang death toll has been out of control lately. Seems like another one almost every day.
The only wrong word in this sentence is "lately".
Not really. There has been a noticeable upsurge in the past month or so.
Agree with Timmy.
As a forum, we have decided that threads announcing expat deaths should be respectful to the families and I'm good with that. Because the news reports say "heart attack"and don't mention drugs, then we should not suggest that drugs are implicated in the deaths of all these relatively young foreigners recently. Ok. A lot of families are in denial, particularly parents, and I can respect that they would prefer that drugs aren't mentioned as part of forum speculation.

HOWEVER, there has been a spike in young foreigners dying of "heart attacks" lately. I think this is news and is worth mentioning, if only to put out a warning for people to take care. Whether or not they change their behavior is another matter. In any case, I don't like the idea that we should unquestioningly go along with the official narrative of all these "heart attacks".
If there is something on the market that is killing more foreigners than usual - mostly way too young - then IMO this is a subject that should be up for discussion.
Thoughts ?
Ideally, I'd prefer if the truth as to the cause of death came out for the reasons you mention..as a warning to people about drugs.

On the other hand, I think most people would be suspicious of the cause of death for a young person to be a heart attack anyway...so people will nevertheless question.. and the family may figure it out themselves separately..hopefully from the authorities (?).

Then there is the issue of whether Cambodian authorities: 1. prefer to just call it heart attack for the sake of the family, or 2. they just don't have the capability to properly determine the cause of death.

Nevertheless, I agree with you there could/should be a stronger message about the risks and consequences of drugs in KOW.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

People are smart enough to work it out. We dont need it on every single death thread. Heading into high season now so i guess we will see lots more.

Even heat and dehydration can play a part where stimulants are involved.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:22 pm But it's fine for Bush to "kick the bucket".

Dying at 94 is acceptable and i am sure he lead a full life
Dying under 55 is a loss to those around him, ( why is is always guys?)

why are there more deaths recently and it seems there having heart attacks younger in KOW
Cardiovascular disease is responsible for about one of every three deaths in the United States. On average, coronary artery disease (CAD) will take a life every minute this year. Heart attacks and cardiac deaths are so common that they almost seem natural and inevitable. When a 70- or 80-year-old succumbs, it gets little attention — but eyes widen when a 30- or 40-year-old is stricken. In fact, the risk of heart disease rises steadily and sharply with age. Still, CAD is far from rare in younger men.

Why do some young men have heart attacks — and what does it tell us about heart disease in middle age and beyond?
In the U.S., the average age for a first heart attack in men is 65. That's why coronary artery disease is labeled a disease of senior citizens. But as many as 4% to 10% of all heart attacks occur before age 45, and most of these strike men.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... rt-disease
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:46 pmwhy are there more deaths recently and it seems there having heart attacks younger in KOW

I doubt very much half of these 'heart attack' cases really are that at all.

My 2 pennies are cops here for the most part don't have a friggin clue what they're doing when they just see an average dead body that blatantly hasn't been run over/murdered. They just eyeball the cadaver and as soon as they see no signs of foul play just say heart attack, case closed. None of them went to med school for 10 years or perform an autopsy, that speaks for itself.

I'd also say a bunch of young people here realise they can get ketamine, valium, xanax, morphine etc over the counter and just party too hard. Easy to pop a few xanax and feel real groovy, go to the bar, drink a bunch making yourself feel even more mellow, and then swallow your own Tongue in your sleep or something. Not everyone knows mixing pharmaceuticals and booze can be an extremely dangerous endeavor, and Cambodia has a lot of pharmaceuticals and booze
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 pm My 2 pennies are cops here for the most part don't have a friggin clue what they're doing when they just see an average dead body that blatantly hasn't been run over/murdered. They just eyeball the cadaver and as soon as they see no signs of foul play just say heart attack, case closed. None of them went to med school for 10 years or perform an autopsy, that speaks for itself.
I think this is it.

In determining the cause and manner of death there are often times many links to the chain.

In most cases here they just give a sloppy 'immediate cause of death' which is the person died because their heart stopped beating.

So in a sense they are not incorrect but what most people find most instructive is the 'proximate cause of death', the condition which started a chain of events leading to death.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:46 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:22 pm But it's fine for Bush to "kick the bucket".

why are there more deaths recently and it seems there having heart attacks younger in KOW
Cardiovascular disease is responsible for about one of every three deaths in the United States. On average, coronary artery disease (CAD) will take a life every minute this year. Heart attacks and cardiac deaths are so common that they almost seem natural and inevitable. When a 70- or 80-year-old succumbs, it gets little attention — but eyes widen when a 30- or 40-year-old is stricken. In fact, the risk of heart disease rises steadily and sharply with age. Still, CAD is far from rare in younger men.

Why do some young men have heart attacks — and what does it tell us about heart disease in middle age and beyond?
In the U.S., the average age for a first heart attack in men is 65. That's why coronary artery disease is labeled a disease of senior citizens. But as many as 4% to 10% of all heart attacks occur before age 45, and most of these strike men.
Is there a new meth-related heart failure crisis on the horizon?
ANAHEIM, California – The steady rise in methamphetamine use across the country seems to be creating its own epidemic – a new kind of heart failure case, according to new research.

The study, released Tuesday at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions conference, shows heart failure associated with methamphetamine use quadrupled in a decade among U.S. veterans treated by the San Diego Veterans Administration Medical Center.

But what researchers said was even more worrisome is the heart failure was more severe and happening in younger-than-typical patients. The study suggested the condition is a “new phenotype” it called Meth-HF.
https://newsarchive.heart.org/new-meth- ... s-horizon/
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Is there a new meth-related heart failure crisis on the horizon?
ANAHEIM, California – The steady rise in methamphetamine use across the country seems to be creating its own epidemic – a new kind of heart failure case, according to new research.

The study, released Tuesday at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions conference, shows heart failure associated with methamphetamine use quadrupled in a decade among U.S. veterans treated by the San Diego Veterans Administration Medical Center.

But what researchers said was even more worrisome is the heart failure was more severe and happening in younger-than-typical patients. The study suggested the condition is a “new phenotype” it called Meth-HF.
https://newsarchive.heart.org/new-meth- ... s-horizon/
Sure there could be that, but also people taking bad combinations, like one not so long ago where the police photos showed ketamine vials with empty beer cans - a fatal combination. Plus, people being sold smack as coke. And as someone mentioned simply passing out and choking on their own vomit (as seems to be the case in one of the latest reports).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Why the apparent disrespect for the dead? I lived in Cambodia for many years and saw so many dead bodies both Khmer and Barang. Life is cheap and if one had to develop a thick skin. Otherwise the presence of so much poverty, cruelty and death would drive you mad. So many Khmer die through the lack of affordable health facilities. So many barang die through abuse of drugs and alcohol or simply old age. There are no autopsies in the Kingdom, usually we don’t know the true cause of death.
But the availability of cheap everything is usually the cause of death. What a way to go says the survivor who is 67 today. In the future I may choose to check out in Cambodia. I Australia the elderly are bombarded by funeral insurance scammers. How much to get burned at the Wat- 20 bucks? Makes perfect sense to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic