The society of Cambodia in comparison to general european culture

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Re: The society of Cambodia in comparison to general european culture

Post by sklmeera »

Many Cambodians believe that Angkor Wat was built by giant aliens from another planet . Not that I have any direct evidence against this but it does seem a bit far fetched .
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm Your argument was a little difficult to follow because of the non sequiturs and the way opinions are presented as assertions. However here's just a section, I might do more if I have time.
Rubbish excuse for one patethic reply.
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm Why say that? There is plenty of evidence relating to Cambodia in the neolithic era:
Yet there somehow is a gap in the modern-era. Explain this.
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm Carbon 14 dating of a cave at La ang Spean in northwest Cambodia reveals people who made pots were living in Cambodia as early as 4200 B.C.E. (Before the Common Era).

Among the finds are the wheel, and the wooden barrel.
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm These people may have migrated from South Eastern China to the Indochinese Peninsula, although some scholars maintain they may have come from India. Scholars trace the first cultivation of rice and the first bronze making in Southeast Asia to these people.*
Wrong. DNA analysis show a huge frequency of mtDNA matches of regions between the andamans, polynesian, to the caucasus region of the himalayas. With emphasis on the polynesian amongst the earlier traces of mtDNA.
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm Why relate archeology from the Khmer Empire era onward to a speculation about the peoples language skills pre this time it doesn't make sense. Why would you speculate that these people would have no language written or oral when there is evidence to the contrary?
I am not speculating. You are.
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

Well anyway it occured to me are drifting way off topic here.
As for in comparison to general european culture I can surely say this: Both country and continent had massive turmoil in the immediate post-war era.

Luckily for both the good guys won through. At the end of 1945 there where neither Soviet or Axis aggression to be found anywhere. Everyone was tired of the war but still on their edges and toes about the aftermath and what was possibly to come. I mean no-one at the time knew that we actually would see nearly a century of peace and probably more of that, insofar as a millennia to come.

Yet in the uncertainty and turmoil that was to follow there has seem to come to a standstill here, while the mainland has moved along and continued going on forward. There is undeniably a discrepancy in existance that can neither be explained by political, geo-economical, or for cultural reasons. I wonder why that is.
sklmeera wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 pm Many Cambodians believe that Angkor Wat was built by giant aliens from another planet . Not that I have any direct evidence against this but it does seem a bit far fetched .
Hah! You draw out a good point sklmeera.
Certainly not a place to be abandoned on a whim. I regret not having seen it in person As it is the most famous of all landmarks in the region, yet the last on my list of destinations.
I think the Khmer certainly built it. Hah, aliens. That's a good one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic