What events and prominent dates for 2019?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

What events and prominent dates for 2019?

Post by Freightdog »

I know we still have a few weeks of this year left, but thoughts now run to 2019, and beyond

Being a fairly recent addition to the population, I'm still just catching up with which events might be important throughout the KoW. As I need to plan quite a long way ahead for leave purposes, it would be good to know sooner than later. (Trying to explain to the other half that telling me this week about something in 3 weeks won't cut it)

Pchum Ben... (seems to be around) 27 September 2019
Bon om touk/water festival... 10-13 November 2019

and any recommendations on things to plan my time in Cambodia around?

I've already got time planned out January through May, next year, including Khmer new year
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: What events and prominent dates for 2019?

Post by Duncan »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 pm I know we still have a few weeks of this year left, but thoughts now run to 2019, and beyond

Being a fairly recent addition to the population, I'm still just catching up with which events might be important throughout the KoW. As I need to plan quite a long way ahead for leave purposes, it would be good to know sooner than later. (Trying to explain to the other half that telling me this week about something in 3 weeks won't cut it)

I've already got time planned out January through May, next year, including Khmer new year

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Sounds like a teacher that was asked to plan 2019 vacation days
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 pm I know we still have a few weeks of this year left, but thoughts now run to 2019, and beyond

Use any search engine and type the following magic words:

Cambodia
Public
Holiday

:hattip:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

20th September to 2nd November...Rugby World Cup
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm 20th September to 2nd November...Rugby World Cup
But Guinness on tap is not available in Cambodia, so that will be observed elsewhere...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am Use any search engine and type the following magic words:

Cambodia
Public
Holiday
RTFQ
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:17 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am Use any search engine and type the following magic words:

Cambodia
Public
Holiday
RTFQ
Your F leaves me puzzled, but seriously, the overview of the public holidays is a good start since it will show you some periods with public holidays (nearly) forming a longer period of days off.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countrie ... a/2019.php

But, if you want specific advice..... During the main holidays (Khmer New Year and Pchum Benh) nearly all of Cambodia will be on the road / on holiday making going out quite a pain in the ass, while life in the main city becomes bearable (although too slow for some). So you might want to plan going out on working days, instead of around holidays. A Khmer other half might protest though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's also 4/5/6 February - Chinese New Year, not an official holiday but in practice it is.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm There's also 4/5/6 February - Chinese New Year, not an official holiday but in practice it is.
How is the CNY (couldn't be bothered to type it*) in Phnom Penh? I should be around for that.

As for other dates, it's a little like Easter. No point in saying I'll be around same time next year, and miss it by a month, while Thanksgiving is somewhat predictable.

I wouldn't bother with Easter, and Thansgiving is a useful date to focus on in North America as most people I know would be available.

Back to Cambodia.
As above, I might not bother with some dates straight from the calendar (ploughing day- I had in mind the top bod and his number one squeeze going at it for the greater good. Silly me)

And sadly, yes. I do need to be planning a long way ahead. Limited staff numbers, but a very useful work roster mean that some forward planning pays big dividends.

*irony set to 100%
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic