Typhoon Usagi Batters Saigon

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Typhoon Usagi Batters Saigon

Post by sklmeera »

We are currently in the middle of a typhoon . The HCMC Peoples Committee has closed all the schools and non essential public buildings . Hatched battened down as we ride this monster out . Its headed on towards Cambodia and PP I guess later . May the gods keep you all safe .
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Typhoon Usagi Batters Saigon

Post by mcam »

I had noticed it felt cooler in Phnom Penh today. Looks like things might get interesting tomorrow.
https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-ne ... i/70006703
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Been sitting out this tropical depression (not typhoon) in Vung Tau now for 8 hours and counting. It's a very slow moving storm. Constant rain and wind gusts 40 to maybe 80 km/h. Some trees knocked over, some minor flooding. But road drainage is pretty good here. Best of luck in Saigon.

One VN forecaster says they expect another 4-6 of these before the end of the year. That's one a week, with most hitting the central part of VN. Gives me pause as to whether I'll stay here. All-day storms are not my cup of trà sữa.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

While parts of southern Vietnam are still recovering from last week’s deadly flooding and mudslides from former Tropical Storm Toraji, a new tropical threat will strike in the coming days.

Usagi briefly strengthened into a typhoon on Saturday before weakening back into a severe tropical storm as it tracked westward across the South China Sea on Saturday night.

Usagi is forecast to make landfall Sunday afternoon or evening near Vung Tau before tracking westward into southern Vietnam, eventually turning northwest into Cambodia by Monday. It will unload heavy rainfall, threatening flooding mudslides and local wind damage.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... i/70006703
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Gregor01
Tourist
Germany

Post by Gregor01 »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sklmeera wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:01 pm We are currently in the middle of a typhoon . The HCMC Peoples Committee has closed all the schools and non essential public buildings . Hatched battened down as we ride this monster out . Its headed on towards Cambodia and PP I guess later . May the gods keep you all safe .
Exaggerate much? I have lots of friends in HCMC and none of them are in panic mode though a couple had their bikes flooded.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Looks like the worst of the rain and wind is passing north west through Kampong Cham towards Siem Reap.
ImageImage
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 am
sklmeera wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:01 pm We are currently in the middle of a typhoon . The HCMC Peoples Committee has closed all the schools and non essential public buildings . Hatched battened down as we ride this monster out . Its headed on towards Cambodia and PP I guess later . May the gods keep you all safe .
Exaggerate much? I have lots of friends in HCMC and none of them are in panic mode though a couple had their bikes flooded.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9DtP ... DEZM15wxo-
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Actually, it was kind of a major storm, but yeah, it's a regular thing in Vietnam. Most veer northward and hit central and northern VN, so those landing in the south are a slightly big deal, especially when the millions living in Sai Gon are affected.

Here's a video:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/video/usag ... 44823.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic