Been looking for this for a while.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Been looking for this for a while.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I've had a bit of a fascination with Goa and what was happening there in the sixties and seventies as well the people who contributed to those days of excess on India's beaches. A book called Goa Freaks: My Hippie Years in Goa, is the biography of seventies Anjuna-beach-living drug running, drug addled hippie nutjob Cleo Odzer which I've been looking to read free online for some time. I found it and thought some who haven't read it might enjoy it. The author Cleo Odzer died in Goa in 2001.

It's here http://booksonline.com.ua/view.php?book=163811

Review
In this lively and unique document of 1970s-style hedonism, we follow the futher adventures of Cleo Odzer, whose first book Patpong Sisters was a best seller. Goa Freaks begins in the mid 1970s and tells of Cleo's love affair with Goa, a resort in India where the Freaks (hippies) of the world converge to partake in a heady bohemian lifestyle. To finance their astounding appetites for cocaine, heroin, and hashish, the Freaks spend each monsoon season acting as drug couriers, and soon cleo is running her own "scams" in Canada, Australis, and the United States. (She even gets her Aunt Sadie in on the action.) Wish her earnings she builds a veritable palace on the beach- the only Goa house with running water and a flushing toilet. Cleo becomes the hostess of Anjuna Beach, holding days-long poker games and movie nights and, as her money begins to run out, transforming the house into a for-profit drug den. Tracing Cleo's love affairs, her stint hiding out at the ashram of the infamous Bhagwan Rajneesh, and her sometimes-harrowing drug experiences, Goa Freaks: My Hippie Years in India is candid and compelling, bringing to life the spirit of a now-lost era.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Been looking for this for a while.

Post by phuketrichard »

spent a month in Goa in 83, loved it
Had cycled down from Bombay and it was an oasis away from Hindu India
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was there in 1996, I liked the architecture and food but it was already over-run by chillum-smoking dreadlocked fucking retards by then.
I liked a bit of smoke but I never saw it as any excuse to act or be like a vegetable.
I hated those guys, I often wanted to kill them but I just chilled out instead.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there is a movie about old goa an the hippies ( prehaps where the bar in Otres got its name)

if u cant see it above add http://www. to the start of veoh.com/watch/v17485205NtHqS8FJ
Last Hippie Standing is a 45-minute documentary by German filmmaker Marcus Robbin about the counterculture scene in Goa, India. It juxtaposes the first hippies here with a later generation of travellers who came for the rave scene. One of the positive features of the documentary is its inclusion of handheld camera footage that shows us how the first travellers here looked and spent their time. In contemporary interviews three figures represent the hippie community of the 1960s and 1970s here. Goa Gil came to India in 1969, after seeing the collapse of Haight-Ashbury, and developed the Goa Trance style of dance music. His friend Swami William came for spiritual enlightenment. The third figure interviewed is the late Cleo Odzer, a ditzy scion of a wealthy New York family who came in the 1970s. Her 1995 book Goa Freaks: My Hippie Years in India was a tell-all that, though it documented some of the troubling aspects of the hippie community like hard drug use, angered many of her peers.

uses some of Cleo's old footage

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I was in 2012 in Vagator, Goa. My favourite bar was The Mango Tree Bar along Vagator Beach Rd.
Hash was everywhere available and people smoked it on the bar, no problem at all.
The Mango Tree Bar;Image
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

If I sat down with a guide book, I could probably list hundreds of places in India that I would rather visit than those hippie-infested beaches of Goa.

I was at one of those tourist markets in Goa once, just standing still while the woman I was with was looking at a clothing stall. All of a sudden, an Indian stuck a stick in my ear, pulled it out, and said "soap in your ear". Before he could continue with his ear-cleaning sales spiel (which is undoubtedly effective on soapophobic hippies), I yelled at him and he legged it.

Filipino scam artists and fake monks may be annoying, but at least they don't penetrate your ear cavity without consent.

I felt like I'd been aurally raped.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

I was warned for the ear cleaners scam by my landlady, first the "clean" your ear for about 1000 Rupiah and than they "discover" a stone in your ear and remove it for the same amount.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I'm not sure how many hippies living in Goa during the sixties and seventies were actually that interested in social or political change or any real search for spiritual enlightenment for that matter. Most just languished masquerading under the umbrella of those ideologies or ideas as an excuse to get stoned and do fuck all.

Here's some examples of a few who remained.

Eight Finger Eddie (Died 2010 in Goa.) was the grandfather of Goa's hippie scene in the 60's and 70's opening his house and feeding anyone who needed it in the early days.

Last Hippie Standing.

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Anyway to browse that site in English?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:58 pm Anyway to browse that site in English?
Not that I can find.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic