Takeo Tales:-Dignity In Death?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Takeo Tales:-Dignity In Death?

Post by takeoman »

With a drought in full swing life was slow during August, and one could sense the worry as rice shoots shriveled in the heat.
Sadly the event that temporarily took people's mind of this potentially disastrous situation was the death of my nearest neighbor's youngest son. He had been working in Ratanakari, where a drunk driver mowed him down.
The news arrived early on a Monday morning, and the funeral preparations were almost at once underway. From my balcony I had a birds eye view, as tables were laid out, food prepared, and family and friends assembled. A coffin appeared outside the house, a platform for it to rest on arose, near a small shrine to my right.
By mid-morning only one thing was missing, the deceased. At last a taxi drew up, the driver climbed out, walked to the rear,opened the boot, reached in,and tossed a cloth wrapped bundle over one shoulder. Turning he strode up to the waiting coffin and unceremoniously dumped the dearly departed in it. I was reminded of the way in which my uncle,years ago,delivered sacks of coal. His actions were in no way disrespectful, merely practical, but they did raise the question in my mind; is there such a thing as dignity in death?
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Re: Takeo Tales:-Dignity In Death?

Post by Dr Anik »

A moving anecdote takeoman and in answer to your question..'is there such a thing as dignity in death?',..there is as much dignity in death, as the living will allow/provide.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

any time i have seen it up close it is highly undignified, or at least that which precedes it from age or a hard life.

a friend lost her father and now her Mum is on the way out- both in their late 50's so had a hard time thru the angkar years.

they lived in a swampy area of kampong cham.

i believe they probably drank arsenic contaminated water for many years, though without any evidence of this.

no one in that area lives past around 60.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I for one little care about dignity when I am dead, what difference will it make to me after the indignities of death have ravaged my body and rigor mortus has set in.? No, dignity in life is more important and if possible dignity in dying.
Last edited by taabarang on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

takeoman wrote:...walked to the rear,opened the boot, reached in,and tossed a cloth wrapped bundle over one shoulder. Turning he strode up to the waiting coffin and unceremoniously dumped the dearly departed in it. I was reminded of the way in which my uncle,years ago,delivered sacks of coal. His actions were in no way disrespectful, merely practical, but they did raise the question in my mind; is there such a thing as dignity in death?
There is, but as you have witnessed in Cambodia apparently not. It still will take decades until they understand words like "dignity", "respectfulness", "honor", "self respect", but by then they will have another war.......
I actually wonder why the driver didn't transport the body on the roof rack of his car, or like that (just replace the chicken)

or perhaps something like that:

Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Due to difficult circustances, we had to take some ashes from PP to a ceremony in the provinces. This is when I learnt from my Khmer nephew that in Khmer culture we were carrying the equivalent of contraband, and that it is taboo for anyone who is not the family to transport or house the ashes." So don't tell anyone what you've got in your bag". I am family and I don't think it's something I would discuss with strangers anyway - guess what I've got in my bag - but apparently we would have been refused a hotel room, taxi, bus etc.
The ashes were not allowed on the property that my nephew was renting, (he had asked the landlord who said no), although we had the ceremony there.This was the first time I heard about this, but then again it's not a common topic of conversation.

Anyone else encountered little-known taboos like this? Just when you think you've worked out what's going on...
...walked to the rear,opened the boot, reached in,and tossed a cloth wrapped bundle over one shoulder. Turning he strode up to the waiting coffin and unceremoniously dumped the dearly departed in it.
Apparently,transporting a body is ok, but not the ashes ? Or maybe the delivery guy hid the body in the boot because it's not really ok and he didn't want his car to be seen as unclean, then he was anxious to be rid of it as quickly as possible?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Francis wrote:Image
Now wouldn't it be fun if this was still alive, and somehow escaped into the floodwater...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Great post... Death hits everywhere, but it certainly seems to come by more often here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

takeoman wrote:With a drought .....
This is an example of a type of a thread/post we need more of on CEO, and from more people. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic