salary as a research analyst

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

salary as a research analyst

Post by curiosity »

Hi! I recently arrived in Phnom Penh. Back home in Europe I was working as a research analyst for 4+ years. My questions:
1.) What is the average salary for a research analyst with experience here in Phnom Penh?
2.) What kind of companies/NGOs in Phnom Penh are interested in hiring a research analyst?
Thank you for your ideas.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: salary as a research analyst

Post by frank lee bent »

the same integer first discovered by the Sumerian culture in Mesopotamia, some 5000 years ago .
i think that answers both of your questions.

now, if only you were a swine auctioneer or something having practical use here, like fluency in Mandarin.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

ok, then in what kind of job/with what kind of business can I make good money?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

in my experience, none. you can survive here and not a lot more than that.
it is an easy place to lose an investment.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Q2. Have you tried googling "Research Analyst Phnom Penh"?

Q1. There is no average salary. Salaries are usually negotiable (and not often shown on job ads). If the company is looking to hire a local then the salary will be somewhere between 2 hundred to 2 thousand dollars /mo. If the company/ngo is looking to hire an expat, it is possible to get similar to what you'd get paid in Europe.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

curiosity wrote:ok, then in what kind of job/with what kind of business can I make good money?
Bahahaha!
Came to Cambodia....
To make money......
Lmaorofl.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

man bun cultivation and coiffure or centralist communist loans with strategic outlook for belt road.
even the ngo's have fucked off
try nepal, it is still rooted from the big eq
not many girls there though
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

What's does a research analyst do? There's at least one research outfit in town: http://angkorresearch.com.

I assume various NGOs and businesses have researchers on staff but Cambodia is the kind of place you need to adapt to fit into who and what's paying. Find the drinking holes of the type of folk your looking to work for/with, and get chatting.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Since about 2010 NGO's faced budget cuts and all NGO's I have worked with only hire research analysts on a case by case base these. The analyst will be hired for a certain project only, for a fixed fee. It will be hard to find those though, since you have to mingle with 'old boys NGO network' locally and I don't think newcomers will be all too welcome. Experience in Cambodia is an advantage, experience in third world countries a requirement. The chance of landing a long-term job in this field are extremely small.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

I still have some gigs from Europe running, but I'm looking for a regular job also in terms of work-permit. I noticed a lot of different kind of bubbles in Phnom Penh (like big businesses, small businesses, NGOs, missionaries, teachers). From your experience can you give me a list of all the groups here? How do these people distinguish each other? What are their main characteristics?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic