Cambodian vinyl records???

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Cambodian vinyl records???

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Greetings,

Anywhere to find old cambodia vinyl records in country? Second hand shops etc. Any info greatly appreciated.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian vinyl records???

Post by John Bingham »

Not much help, but I've never seen any vinyl or even a record player here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

Channthy, who sang in Cambodian Space Project, had a small shop in Russian Market that sold some reissued Khmer vinyl compilations of hits from the stars of back in the day and also CSP on vinyl. They also sold old Khmer movie poster reprints and such. Since she passed away, I'm not sure if the shop is still there or not?

I've looked around, not extensively, but a good bit, and the only vinyl I've seen around has been a little bit of reissued stuff. No original pressings. Good luck on your search.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

I have been on a mission to find this.

Sadly, I believe the Khmer Rouge did an excellent job of seeing vinyl collections destroyed (I assume you know this and have seen the documentary, but if not, check out http://www.dtifcambodia.com/).

Still, there have to be a few collections stored away under someone's house, tucked away in the back room of a temple. There's no way 100% of it was destroyed only 40 years ago. Would it be playable? I suspect anything discovered might have suffered from exposure to the elements.

I have asked around and there's a number of barriers to ever finding anything. People will often be confused about what I'm talking about — Cambodia being an overall young country, they've likely never seen a vinyl record. They might think I'm talking about the record player or the sound system, not the records. They might think it's a vegetable cutting mat if they saw one.

I think of it a lot like the tek-tek (the Cambodian Sasquatch around Virachey): if people understand there's money to be made, they'll risk life and limb to find it. I've told people collectors would pay lots of money for it, but that's never led to anyone finding any. That means it truly is extremely rare.

I've wondered if it's more likely to be found in Thailand.
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Thanks for the info all. Ive hunted all over Thailand collecting vinyl but never came across any khmer / cambodian vinyl. Will be in pp round nye n will try to hit up the markets. Appreciate the posts all!
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

Kampoochie wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm I have been on a mission to find this.

Sadly, I believe the Khmer Rouge did an excellent job of seeing vinyl collections destroyed (I assume you know this and have seen the documentary, but if not, check out http://www.dtifcambodia.com/).

Still, there have to be a few collections stored away under someone's house, tucked away in the back room of a temple. There's no way 100% of it was destroyed only 40 years ago. Would it be playable? I suspect anything discovered might have suffered from exposure to the elements.

I have asked around and there's a number of barriers to ever finding anything. People will often be confused about what I'm talking about — Cambodia being an overall young country, they've likely never seen a vinyl record. They might think I'm talking about the record player or the sound system, not the records. They might think it's a vegetable cutting mat if they saw one.

I think of it a lot like the tek-tek (the Cambodian Sasquatch around Virachey): if people understand there's money to be made, they'll risk life and limb to find it. I've told people collectors would pay lots of money for it, but that's never led to anyone finding any. That means it truly is extremely rare.

I've wondered if it's more likely to be found in Thailand.
Thanks for the info. Have checked out dtif, great tunes on there.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There's a store called Kong Meng Audio, #28 St.147, stocks a lot of Vinyl of old Khmer albums (re-pressed, not original), and turntables. You can find them on FB.

Theres also a few smaller boutique stores (can't remember locations off top of my head sorry) selling the same, along with old music and movie posters, etc...very popular with the man-bun, smashed avocado, skinny jean wearing hipster crowds.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:11 pm There's a store called Kong Meng Audio, #28 St.147, stocks a lot of Vinyl of old Khmer albums (re-pressed, not original), and turntables. You can find them on FB.

Theres also a few smaller boutique stores (can't remember locations off top of my head sorry) selling the same, along with old music and movie posters, etc...very popular with the man-bun, smashed avocado, skinny jean wearing hipster crowds.
Indeed. Also, popular with anyone with good taste in music. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic