Internet in the province is poor? Any best choices?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Internet in the province is poor? Any best choices?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just survived day one of the wedding ceremony. Got chanted to the gills, pelted with jasmine, and doused with holy water, and gave sampeach to everyone except small kids, dogs, and chickens.

But the internet is kinda pokey here. Hovers between 2 bars, E, and nothing. Ok for checking posts and replies but not really ideal for photos.

Any suggestions on the best carrier to try?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Internet in the province is poor? Any best choices?

Post by Barang chgout »

Ask the locals.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Coverage varies wildly between carriers and locations. Would need to know your current district and current carrier.

Alternatively, you could just put the phone on airplane mode, grab a tinnie and enjoy your wedding.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

epidemiks wrote:Coverage varies wildly between carriers and locations. Would need to know your current district and current carrier.

Alternatively, you could just put the phone on airplane mode, grab a tinnie and enjoy your wedding.
Everyone uses a different carrier. Was thinking of investing in a cell phone signal repeater to boost the signal. But the vagaries of the power system with outages, spikes and whatnot, may fry the thing pretty quick. Power conditioners, UPS systems, and surge protectors may available. Heck, latex and memory foam isn’t available here.

Any barang actually enjoyed their wedding? Parts of it, yes-ish, but the entire thing? Once I get back to the land of workable internet, I’ll post with pics if there is interest.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

newkidontheblock wrote:
epidemiks wrote:Coverage varies wildly between carriers and locations. Would need to know your current district and current carrier.

Everyone uses a different carrier. Was thinking of investing in a cell phone signal repeater to boost the signal. But the vagaries of the power system with outages, spikes and whatnot, may fry the thing pretty quick. Power conditioners, UPS systems, and surge protectors may available. Heck, latex and memory foam isn’t available here.

Any barang actually enjoyed their wedding? Parts of it, yes-ish, but the entire thing? Once I get back to the land of workable internet, I’ll post with pics if there is interest.
Or you could have just said where you are and what sim you have..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 pm Once I get back to the land of workable internet, I’ll post with pics if there is interest.
Yes please, post some pics. Any excuse for a laugh. Try and have some fun yourself though. It only happens once.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

epidemiks wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 pmOr you could have just said where you are and what sim you have..
Siem Reap Province... Pouk Commune.. Village..

Listen for the live wedding music that opened up at 5:30 AM. Can probably be heard all the way from the national highway.

SIM is Smart. 1-2 bars on 4G, but switches to 3G and E and nothing in a heartbeat. Not even enough signal for Tapatalk. Strangely enough, CEO on Safari still works.
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

metfone was always best for me in rural areas. i heard cellcard has better coverage than smart, but i never used it. just ask a local guy what he uses.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic