Thai Junta and Thaksin-Backed Populists Face Off Before 2019 Poll

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thai Junta and Thaksin-Backed Populists Face Off Before 2019 Poll

Post by phuketrichard »

wanna bet the elections WONT be held in feb?? :beer1:
what odds General Prayuth Chan-ocha and his sidekicks wont leave without a fight...

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Battle lines are being drawn between Thailand’s military government and the populist movement led by ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra as both sides attempt to outmaneuver the other before a general election due in 2019.
The junta has promised to hold the much-delayed election as early as February, a test of its promise to restore democracy amid widely held concerns that it aims to maintain a grip on power in Southeast Asia’s second-biggest economy.

The race is again expected to pit Thaksin’s “red shirt” followers against the military and royalist establishment, which seized power in successive coups in 2006 and 2014. Thaksin’s camp, which has won every election since 2001, has been unable to assert control over non-elected bodies, particularly the judiciary and the military, prompting bouts of street protests and coups.

In a move widely seen as an attempt to cripple support for Thaksin and his allies, the junta last month ordered the Election Commission to investigate whether he is still controlling the popular Puea Thai Party from exile abroad, and possibly disband it.

“They are afraid of us,” Puea Thai veteran Watana Muangsook told Reuters, referring to the junta’s efforts to undermine the influence of his party and allies. “The only way they can beat us is that they have to play beyond the rules. If they follow the rules they will lose.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKCN1NH2MC
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai Junta and Thaksin-Backed Populists Face Off Before 2019 Poll

Post by sigmoid »

As the article states:
In a move widely seen as an attempt to cripple support for Thaksin and his allies, the junta last month ordered the Election Commission to investigate whether he is still controlling the popular Puea Thai Party from exile abroad, and possibly disband it.
The elections will be held but under a situation similar to that of recent elections held in a neighboring country, i.e. with the major opposition party eliminated through legislative and judicial means.

It's a tactic also used in a number of other countries and like in many countries, neither side is a very good choice (Thai vs. Thai).

Here's a question for you: Which outcome will be worse, victory by the Thaksin-backed party or the junta-backed party?

Either way, Thailand is still fucked and may slip into a civil war.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i'll put my money that they wont be held
The Election Commission secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma is refusing to confirm that the next election will be held on February 24, fuelling speculation of a possible delay.

He said February 24 was the earliest date the agency would be ready to hold the general election, citing a conclusion of an Commission meeting held many months ago in Pattaya.

“The election commissioners, however, have not scheduled February 24 as the election date,” he said.

Meanwhile, Suthin Klangpha, a politician from the anti-junta Pheu Thai Party, said yesterday that he suspected the junta government was plotting to further delay the next election. He claimed that pro-junta political parties would seek postponement by arguing that they were not prepared for the election on February 24.
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/po ... KhiV3znmoA

as to which is best; All i know is the Thais are not happy about elections not being held and postponed so much and corruption has gotten worse than before
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

i'll put my money that they wont be held
OK. What is the reasoning behind your prediction.

One possible scenario is the passing away of the queen.

How do you envision this cancellation of the elections coming about?
Thais are not happy about elections not being held and postponed so much
All the more reason to go ahead and hold an election.
and corruption has gotten worse than before
Well, an election won't solve that. As mentioned, whatever the outcome, Thailand will continue to deteriorate in every aspect.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

que in the general;

'Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely'
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as i stated above
No sign of elections, but election officials want 22 million baht of new cars

Voters were disappointed to see yesterday’s deadline for publication of the royal decree slip away, which means the intended February 24 election date is unlikely.

To add salt to the wound, the election commission has now announced that its directors will be needing new cars, and the lucky tax payers will be providing them.

The budget for the new fleet of cars would be a cool 22 million baht, with each car costing between 2.7 and 4.2 million baht, with at least two senior directors getting Mercedes-Benz.

The commission secretary general says the purchase is necessary as the vehicles currently used are aged and more inclined to break down (he deserves a senior PR job).
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no ... c-33577851
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:-)
Army chief claims opponents of election delay bent on creating troubles
While admitting that he was unaware about what exactly when the election will be held as the Election Commission has not made an announcement yet, General Apirat said the public in general understands why the election has to be put off from the tentative date of February 24.

He said that the coronation ceremony officially scheduled on May 4-6 is an important event for Thailand “but these people have never given a thought about it and, as I said, they are told to do this way and think this way and they cannot be changed.”
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-chief ... -troubles/
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Army Chief Gen. Apirat Kongsomong on those demanding no further election delay - " There are people like this in Thai society. I don't know what to say... they want chaos... I think those that understand are irritated . There are people who want to lead a normal life and make a living ".

The Democracy Restoration Group in reply to Army Chief/Junta - "There are people like this in Thai society. They gather to usurp power from the people and use weapons bought by taxpayer money to threaten people for their own benefit. Some became prime minister, some ministers... and they do whatever they can to delay elections and extend their stay in power. It's these people who do not know their duty who have caused chaos to the country countless times"

I'm with Citizen Wolfie Smith - "Power to the People".
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Royal Decree paves way for 2019 ELECTION

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... -election/
The final hurdle to holding an election this year was cleared Wednesday morning by a royal decree that brings Thailand closer to the elusive poll.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Media reports in recent days cited government sources that a new date would be set for March 24. Minutes after the royal decree was enacted, the Election Commission called an urgent meeting at its headquarters, raising speculation that an election date would be announced as early as today.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

What a handsome fella .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic