Accommodation Recommendation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Accommodation Recommendation

Post by Anchor Moy »

Silver River on St 172 has rooms with balcony and breakfast for $35 - maybe they will take 30. Sary's is also ok - didn't get a u-bed - which room was that? (So I can avoid it.) Pool but no balcony at Number 9 -and the rooms are shoeboxes.
GeeMan
Tourist

Post by GeeMan »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
ExPenhMan wrote:Pardon me, but isn't the Walkabout hotel side a noted shithole now. I don't think they've renovated anything in years. All you have to do is look around the bar in daylight. Better seen at night through beer goggles. However, behind it on 174 is Blue Tongue, a very nice set of rooms. (No smoking though.)
Yea, OP, don't stay at a brothel in sleaze town. Look at Sundance Saloon on St 172. They got a pool. Great bar.
Cheers mate, Sundance looks good. Location walking distance to the riverfront attractions etc. I am assuming that it is guest friendly?

Had an email back from the proprietor Harry (not you by any chance ? :lol: ) that sounds OK (Large King room with private balcony), and may pull the trigger later today and make a booking.

Thanks all for your feedback, been excellent

GeeMan
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

avoid the rooms that face onto the pool at Sundance esp during the weekend.
very noisy- otherwise- i like the place.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:I find the hometown hotel on street 172 for $15/night ( $300/month) perfectly acceptable for my stays in PP for the last 5 years
Yep. I've since recommended that place several times to guests coming to Phnom Penh. No complaints.
Mooser wrote:I have stayed at the lonestar on a few occasions. hUGE rooms great staff. Cannot be beat!
Yep. The reason it's fully booked most of the year. Seems to be a steal.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Anchor Moy wrote:Silver River on St 172 has rooms with balcony and breakfast for $35 - maybe they will take 30. Sary's is also ok - didn't get a u-bed - which room was that? (So I can avoid it.) Pool but no balcony at Number 9 -and the rooms are shoeboxes.
3rd floor in the front I think. Other than the bed, I thought it was a good deal. Just stayed at Asia Tune on 148 & 19. It's a contender. The rooms are recently refurbed, good sized, nice & clean, they throw in breakfast, but no balcony . $30.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

wackyjacky wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Silver River on St 172 has rooms with balcony and breakfast for $35 - maybe they will take 30. Sary's is also ok - didn't get a u-bed - which room was that? (So I can avoid it.) Pool but no balcony at Number 9 -and the rooms are shoeboxes.
3rd floor in the front I think. Other than the bed, I thought it was a good deal. Just stayed at Asia Tune on 148 & 19. It's a contender. The rooms are recently refurbed, good sized, nice & clean, they throw in breakfast, but no balcony . $30.
We stayed on the 2nd floor at Sary's - that was fine.

Across the road from Sary's, there's a place with a fantastic studio appartment on the top floor that we got for $35, but think the regular price is more like $60 - really spacious with bedroom,second bed in living room, kitchen, balcony - big enough for a family. Only problem was the stairs, but that's standard PP. And I don't remember the name, but they were running a real estate business as well.

Usually stay at Fancy GH now - rooms a bit small but with the one's with a balcony are good - about $28. Family-run and nice people,but definitely not guest-friendly. Just off Kandal Market.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I almost took that place for 10 days. I got in a fight with the owner or manager because I just wanted a confirmation e-mail of which apt, dates, and price. I sent him like 6 e-mails asking for it and he'd reply, "gotcha'", you're good" you're in" etc. I could never get it. I told him he was unprofessional and he called me an asshole. I cancelled. The corner apt looked great though.
GeeMan
Tourist

Post by GeeMan »

OK, thanks for all the feedback. I've booked the 'Large King room with private balcony' at Sundance and shall be cancelling my WA reservation.

While acknowledging that my trip is still several months away, as a way of paying back I hope to submit a halfway decent review with piccies when I get there.

Cheers

GeeMan
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Stayed in Sundance for 3 weeks one trip, really comfy big bed in the room I was in and road side rather than the pool side where I agree with Frank is noisy at weekends. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as it's a sociable bar and Harry's a nice guy. Good eateries around and I'd recommend giving Chat n Chew opposite side of the street a go for lunch or dinner, really good.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic