Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hotdigr wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm
im preparing for the worst, although as long as theres still KTVs down KTVstreet and Phum Thmey then i can keep myself entertained for a couple of days
LJ would be more up to date then me. But when I left at the beginning of April, KTV street was the biggest construction site in town. Starting down on the corner of Golden lions and going at least 1/2 way up the street, then through on a diagonal to (what used to be) the supermarket and kfc on Ekkereach. Most of the little KTV's on that side of the road had been knocked down. That was 7 months ago but. And I keep getting people coming up saying it has changed dramatically since then.
I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed mate and agree with LJ, after one night there you won't want to stay for 2. On a brighter note, still no sign of them here in Kampot (no matter what the rumour mongers say) and there are 6 new establishments of the type you enjoy around now :plus1: Look forward to seeing you for a beer :beer2:
that had all gone when i was last there, the night market all the way round to KFC been gone for ages,

KTV street is a lot longer than just the bit at the night market, it goes all the way down to the bottom, loops around and goes all the way to the old 333KTV/CityGoldKTV junction is, ive been told by a resident recently that my favourite KTV is still there thats round on the bend,

ive been sent pics and videos often so im semi up to date but not seen with my own eyes yet, dont get me wrong though, i know ill still be in for a shock, but ive already got an image in my head, i remember how quickly Victory Hill was changing every month this time last year, seeing that area is what im most curious/nervous about lol Serendipity end i dont care much for now that place had already changed so much in recent years

might be in Kampot for a couple of nights next week mate will have to hook up for a catch up drinks its been a while
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I can't believe that first video is only 3 years old. Seems more like 13. I left in April and was back in August briefly to pick up some stuff I had stored. I was saved from having to search for a room by deciding to get the fuck out ASAP! Total time spent - 3 hours.

Johnny
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

They're currently laying hotmix on sections of Ekereach, and even some cement/reo bar sections on Omui St. Drop in the ocean on what needs to be done though.
Even if/when the roads are fixed, the traffic is quite congested these days.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

offroadscholar wrote:They're currently laying hotmix on sections of Ekereach, and even some cement/reo bar sections on Omui St. Drop in the ocean on what needs to be done though.
Even if/when the roads are fixed, the traffic is quite congested these days.
Is Trapper back in town?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

The traffic combined with the state of the roads is really bad. Just yesterday a friend told me it took one hour to go from Psar Leu to the train station. They are starting to fix the devastation from rain season, as was mentioned, but the constant heavy truck traffic means they're fighting a losing battle. The big building sites work 24 hours a day, that's a lot of overloaded trucks.
Aside from all the building in Snooky itself vast areas of land are being cleared on both sides of NR 4 starting before the airport.
up to you...
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Clemen wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 am The traffic combined with the state of the roads is really bad. Just yesterday a friend told me it took one hour to go from Psar Leu to the train station. They are starting to fix the devastation from rain season, as was mentioned, but the constant heavy truck traffic means they're fighting a losing battle. The big building sites work 24 hours a day, that's a lot of overloaded trucks.
Aside from all the building in Snooky itself vast areas of land are being cleared on both sides of NR 4 starting before the airport.
I was surprised by the sheer amount of clear cutting going on when I came through going back in August. It's mind boggling, the entire length of the road from Shv to the other other side of the mountain by the airport has been denuded of trees. It's all bare dirt all the way.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Clemen wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 am The traffic combined with the state of the roads is really bad. Just yesterday a friend told me it took one hour to go from Psar Leu to the train station. They are starting to fix the devastation from rain season, as was mentioned, but the constant heavy truck traffic means they're fighting a losing battle. The big building sites work 24 hours a day, that's a lot of overloaded trucks.
Multiple Chinese companies have offered to widen and beatify the main roads and fix those that are in horrible state. Also they want to build couple new boulevards/roads to ease the traffic problem.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I should have had a look in Aprilbut went to Kratie instead. It sounds horrendous and if must be unique in being the place that has been most fucked up by the Chinese compared to anywhere else in the world. Where will Khmers go now for holiday weekends and has HS sold his property to the Chinese?
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm
Multiple Chinese companies have offered to widen and beatify the main roads and fix those that are in horrible state. Also they want to build couple new boulevards/roads to ease the traffic problem.
Thats nice, but any new roads wont last long and will be a waste of money unless they put in drainage first......which has to go somewhere.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Most likely part of the Sihanoukville-Phnom Penh Expressway. business-and-finance/sihanoukville-phno ... 20507.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic