ER Visa for US Citizen Under 55 Years Old in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: ER Visa for US Citizen Under 55 Years Old in Cambodia

Post by Sidewalker »

Hotdigr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 pm But, since when you need a notarized letter from your embassy, for a retirement under 55 in Cambodia?
Up to now, you have never needed one. That however may change by the time the OP gets here.
OP, the rules and regs here can change weekly. Frankly, any advice you are given now will probably be wrong/out of date by the time you get here next year. In fact any advice you are given today, well intentioned or not, may well be wrong/out of date by next week.
Tell me how many times the rules changed after the Government announcement how to apply for a retirement EOS and what are the changes?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sidewalker wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:18 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:05 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:47 pm But, since when you need a notarized letter from your embassy, for a retirement under 55 in Cambodia?
Up to now, you have never needed one. That however may change by the time the OP gets here.
OP, the rules and regs here can change weekly. Frankly, any advice you are given now will probably be wrong/out of date by the time you get here next year. In fact any advice you are given today, well intentioned or not, may well be wrong/out of date by next week.
Tell me how many times the rules changed after the Government announcement how to apply for a retirement EOS and what are the changes?
If you do a forum search on retirement visas extensions, or visa extensions in general, you will get the idea. Rules have been changing from one day to the next, different rules for different provinces, or even for different travel agencies - you'll see.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Sidewalker wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:18 pm Tell me how many times the rules changed after the Government announcement how to apply for a retirement EOS and what are the changes?
If you mean the government announcement that clearly and unambiguously stated all the requirements for the different visa extensions and the dates they applied from and the fact that those requirements were set in stone and couldn't be varied for any price, under any circumstances, then sorry, I must have missed that particular one.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Hotdigr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 pm
Sidewalker wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:18 pm Tell me how many times the rules changed after the Government announcement how to apply for a retirement EOS and what are the changes?
If you mean the government announcement that clearly and unambiguously stated all the requirements for the different visa extensions and the dates they applied from and the fact that those requirements were set in stone and couldn't be varied for any price, under any circumstances, then sorry, I must have missed that particular one.
You used a lot of words for: I don't know :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

Sidewalker wrote:
But then his post gave you a lot more information than just "I don't know".

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

walkjivefly wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:00 pm
Sidewalker wrote:
But then his post gave you a lot more information than just "I don't know".

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

IMHO, it's more ranter than useful information, how to apply for a ER EOS :beer3:
J-Bird
Tourist
United States of America

Post by J-Bird »

Thanks everyone. I got some useful information.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Just got back from the immigration office across from the airport, after trying to get another renewal of my ER visa.

I was told that there are 2 ways to get a retirement Visa: #1: go to the agency I have used in the past, and have them prepare my renewal (for close to $300); #2: get signed documentation from my government embassy that I receive a pension or social security, plus get a residency certificate, and return to the immigration office. I was told by the guy there is no other way.

Of course, being under age 55, #2 presents a problem, as I'm not eligible to receive social security and will never get a pension.

I asked him what special powers the agency I've used in the past has, since they're not able to document my social security or pension eligibility either. He bit down hard and refused to break a smile, knowing full damn well the (almost $120) difference is corruption.

Since I cannot force the USA to give me social security early, I explained that something didn't seem right that I was essentially being forced to play the game. He said what game? After explaining to him again what he already knows, he replied by asking me how much a visa to America costs, to which I replied,
"but a visa for America is the same price no matter which place you go to get it. "

I asked if they would accept a letter from my embassy saying I'm retired and living off my savings. He said that would be accepted, if I could get it.

I saw this guy being a smug prick to others in line before me who were trying to extend their visas. People wonder why this shit is maddening!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Play the game. That's how it works. :pardon:
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ozguyinshv »

Tarndog wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 am Just got back from the immigration office across from the airport, after trying to get another renewal of my ER visa.

I was told that there are 2 ways to get a retirement Visa: #1: go to the agency I have used in the past, and have them prepare my renewal (for close to $300); #2: get signed documentation from my government embassy that I receive a pension or social security, plus get a residency certificate, and return to the immigration office. I was told by the guy there is no other way.

Of course, being under age 55, #2 presents a problem, as I'm not eligible to receive social security and will never get a pension.

I asked him what special powers the agency I've used in the past has, since they're not able to document my social security or pension eligibility either. He bit down hard and refused to break a smile, knowing full damn well the (almost $120) difference is corruption.

Since I cannot force the USA to give me social security early, I explained that something didn't seem right that I was essentially being forced to play the game. He said what game? After explaining to him again what he already knows, he replied by asking me how much a visa to America costs, to which I replied,
"but a visa for America is the same price no matter which place you go to get it. "

I asked if they would accept a letter from my embassy saying I'm retired and living off my savings. He said that would be accepted, if I could get it.

I saw this guy being a smug prick to others in line before me who were trying to extend their visas. People wonder why this shit is maddening!

Lol. don't bother questioning the logic of things, looking for consistency and answers etc whilst in the 'bodia. It doesn't work
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic