Chbab Srey - Code and Conduct for Khmer Women

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Chbab Srey - Code and Conduct for Khmer Women

Post by newkidontheblock »

Me thinks she was doing some Khmer chanting, except translated into English. Either way, impossible for non-monks to contemplate and understand.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 am Me thinks she was doing some Khmer chanting, except translated into English.
Monks chant in Pali.
Either way, impossible for non-monks to contemplate and understand.
:roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

John Bingham wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 am Me thinks she was doing some Khmer chanting, except translated into English.
Monks chant in Pali.
Either way, impossible for non-monks to contemplate and understand.
:roll:
Yeah, maybe.
Pali would seem to be almost the same as Khmer at my wat....
Or have I accidentally learnt to speak Pali?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Pali would seem to be almost the same as Khmer at my wat....
Or have I accidentally learnt to speak Pali?"

You are attending a most learned wat. While Khmer has many Pali(and some Sanskrit) etymological origins, even the monks at all wats formally study Pali. With a language gift like yours you probably can understand Beowulf based on your knowledge of English.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

taabarang wrote:"Pali would seem to be almost the same as Khmer at my wat....

You are attending a most learned wat. While Khmer has many Pali(and some Sanskrit) etymological origins, even the monks at all wats formally study Pali. With a language gift like yours you probably can understand Beowulf based on your knowledge of English.
Come to Osoam and have a listen.
Perhaps the monks delightful chanting will dull your righteous attitude....

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Barang chgout wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

Perhaps the monks delightful chanting will dull your righteous attitudse....
Thank you for the invitation, but temple hopping doesn't particularly suit my lifestyle. I also fail to see how our local Pali chanting could differ that much. What you consider a "righteous attitude" I view as a healthy scepticism based on experience and contact with local monks who have to study Pali and local.jah jah who have to memorize it. Àlso, after the Pali chant a "somrai" or Khmer translation follows immediately. The only Pali and/Sanskrit words loosely known among the local populous are the separate vocabularies for common occurrences such as sleeping, eating and so on.

Well founded disagreements are always welcome, however it is difficult to sharpen my mind under your
described circumstances. I suggest you take your claims and my refutation thereof to a learned priest.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

taabarang wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:31 am

Perhaps the monks delightful chanting will dull your righteous attitudse....
Thank you for the invitation, but temple hopping doesn't particularly suit my lifestyle. I also fail to see how our local Pali chanting could differ that much. What you consider a "righteous attitude" I view as a healthy scepticism based on experience and contact with local monks who have to study Pali and local.jah jah who have to memorize it. Àlso, after the Pali chant a "somrai" or Khmer translation follows immediately. The only Pali and/Sanskrit words loosely known among the local populous are the separate vocabularies for common occurrences such as sleeping, eating and so on.

Well founded disagreements are always welcome, however it is difficult to sharpen my mind under your
described circumstances. I suggest you take your claims and my refutation thereof to a learned priest.
Cool. Not wanting an arguement.
I guess I'll just settle back and listen a little more carefully.
Sar touk sar touk sar touk.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

2 days+ of chanting will be coming to me next week. Not sure if I’ll be more enlightened or need and IV drip afterwards.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"The only Pali and/Sanskrit words loosely known among the local populous are the separate vocabularies for common occurrences such as sleeping, eating and so on."

Although you are probably are aware of what I am referring to, I should nonetheless clarify. Those two separate Pali/Sanskrit vocabularies are used for 1)monks and 2)royalty.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Samana Johann »

(Without intent to disturb or burden you, or with not favored approaches here, for those rejoicing on virtues: If one feels inspired to give time and skill, dedicated toward the Sangha, to translate into english or other languges, or "just" likes to recoice with the merits: ច្បាប់ប្រុស និង ច្បាប់ស្រី)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic