Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Sihanoukville...Increasingly dangerous or a Chinese paradise

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
LaudJohn wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am You will not find a room for even $20 per night.

Most of the beachfront bars are gone.

Raw sewage covers some road, which now have little tarmac and dust is everywhere.

The change in 18 months has been incredible.
yeah im going to drive down next week, although seeing how much its changed since even Feb will probably depress me, it was depressing before but i already know of a lot of changes since then
You will not recognize the place.

No matter how prepared you think you are regarding the changes you will be incredulously amazed, blown away, disbelieving and saddened by what you see.

Enjoy your night there because you will not want a second one. Also book your room in advance.

See Roz for grief counselling afterwards, nestling your head between her voluminous (clad) breasts will make the anguish go away.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LaudJohn wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
LaudJohn wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am You will not find a room for even $20 per night.

Most of the beachfront bars are gone.

Raw sewage covers some road, which now have little tarmac and dust is everywhere.

The change in 18 months has been incredible.
yeah im going to drive down next week, although seeing how much its changed since even Feb will probably depress me, it was depressing before but i already know of a lot of changes since then
You will not recognize the place.

No matter how prepared you think you are regarding the changes you will be incredulously amazed, blown away, disbelieving and saddened by what you see.

Enjoy your night there because you will not want a second one. Also book your room in advance.

See Roz for grief counselling afterwards, nestling your head between her voluminous (clad) breasts will make the anguish go away.
im preparing for the worst, although as long as theres still KTVs down KTVstreet and Phum Thmey then i can keep myself entertained for a couple of days
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm
im preparing for the worst, although as long as theres still KTVs down KTVstreet and Phum Thmey then i can keep myself entertained for a couple of days
LJ would be more up to date then me. But when I left at the beginning of April, KTV street was the biggest construction site in town. Starting down on the corner of Golden lions and going at least 1/2 way up the street, then through on a diagonal to (what used to be) the supermarket and kfc on Ekkereach. Most of the little KTV's on that side of the road had been knocked down. That was 7 months ago but. And I keep getting people coming up saying it has changed dramatically since then.
I think you are going to be bitterly disappointed mate and agree with LJ, after one night there you won't want to stay for 2. On a brighter note, still no sign of them here in Kampot (no matter what the rumour mongers say) and there are 6 new establishments of the type you enjoy around now :plus1: Look forward to seeing you for a beer :beer2:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

My gf's family hate it. They have been there since the port was established before the KR era.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
No effect. Where do you want to stay on KR?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 am What kind of effect will this have on Koh Rong? I want to set up base there for a month or two very soon
No effect. Where do you want to stay on KR?
I haven't a clue tbh, if I can get a good price on a longstay rate somewhere I'll be happy. Do you know anyone or have any recommendations?

Ideally my own space would be best but I could handle a smaller form, cost obviously being the main factor!

If anyone has any tips or knows a guy that knows a guy etc then drop me a message!

Cheers all
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

Clemen wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 am Except for the fruit, nothing in that video exists anymore. The only reasons to come here are, you are Chinese and you want to gamble or or work in the building trade and its associated sub industries( gangs, drugs, Prostitution, etc) or you're Khmer and you want to carry bricks.
You can still find a little of the stuff in that video in Otres, but many of the guesthouses are for sale or closed and there is a huge building site there.
Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siemp Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Zhivago451 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 pm Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siem Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
Siem Reap weirds me out a bit as it has changed so much since I first visited there 18 years ago. It seemed like a sleepy village then.
I've been there a few times since, most recently earlier this year. Parts of it are really awful, the stretch along NR6 is just an endless stretch of big star hotels, construction sites and derelict failed hotels. The center of town around the river has some pleasant parts. The thing about Siem Reap is that it exists for one reason alone, tourism - people visit Siem Reap to see temples. There are of course people who work in services around the tourist industry, but the main focus is on satisfying short-term visitors - many of whom spend only a couple of days in town.
Other than that the province itself is one of the poorest in the kingdom so there are plenty of NGOs working there too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 pm
Zhivago451 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 pm Thank you that is some great insight as to what it's like today. I appreciate the information. What about Siem Reap? What is it like over there? Peaceful? Safe? Dangerous? I know it is a popular tourist destination because of the temples of Angkor Wat but aside from that would you live there?
Siem Reap weirds me out a bit as it has changed so much since I first visited there 18 years ago. It seemed like a sleepy village then.
I've been there a few times since, most recently earlier this year. Parts of it are really awful, the stretch along NR6 is just an endless stretch of big star hotels, construction sites and derelict failed hotels. The center of town around the river has some pleasant parts. The thing about Siem Reap is that it exists for one reason alone, tourism - people visit Siem Reap to see temples. There are of course people who work in services around the tourist industry, but the main focus is on satisfying short-term visitors - many of whom spend only a couple of days in town.
Other than that the province itself is one of the poorest in the kingdom so there are plenty of NGOs working there too.
So then would you say the best place to work would be Phnom Penh then? It has all the good jobs? Because as relaxing as some of the beach like areas sound to chill at, ultimately I am going to Phnom Penh to work. I do not have a degree but I am working into getting one here in the future. Thinking of taking online classes while I work in Phnom Penh. As to what my job will be once I am there, I am sure there are many options. But I don't want to just go to Cambodia to sit around. Which is why I am looking for information on jobs and best job areas where a foreigner can work. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic