Do you have insurance?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you have insurance?

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am
zmth wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 am
explorer wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 am I know some people work for NGOs or large companies who provide insurance.

Many people having short holidays also have insurance.

It is also politically correct to say everybody should have insurance.

Those of you staying in a country other than your home country for a long time, who dont have insurance paid by an NGO or company, do you have insurance?

I have already mentioned in another post, I have made a choice to help students from poor families get an education. By not having insurance, I have money to help more students. There is a possibility that I may be in a difficult situation one day, and then maybe nothing like this will happen to me. You never know.
NEVER buy insurance ! Unless u like to gamble. The house always wins in the end for the average person. How do u think insurance companies make money ? Just be logical and DON'T EVER think about buying any insurance of any kind.
I think you're mixing it up.
The house wins for the group of insured people as a whole, and they lose on the unlucky individuals contacting a serious disease or being in a serious accident.

But as long as you're not one of the unlucky persons you're right.

<edit for typo>
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

atst wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 am Image
Insurance policies need to be read carefully the wording can be miss interpreted
So I'll now follow up on weather my Cambodian licence is recognised in Australia
I believe you need to have an appropriate Australian license, and an appropriate Cambodian license.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Often wondered what the story is if I'm getting a ride with a motodop, have an accident and i'm damaged. Maybe he doesn't have a license, or maybe he's o.k and does a runner. Pretty much the most dangerous thing I would do in Cambodia and probably not covered. And not as tho when those guys on the corner are shouting "hello moto" I'm gonna say "excuse me do you gentlemen have licenses?"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 pm
atst wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 am Image
Insurance policies need to be read carefully the wording can be miss interpreted
So I'll now follow up on weather my Cambodian licence is recognised in Australia
I believe you need to have an appropriate Australian license, and an appropriate Cambodian license.
LOL:
bikes under 125 you dont need a motorcycle license in Camboida, correct?
and to get a Cambodian motorcycle license u need a long term visa, correct>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm bikes under 125 you dont need a motorcycle license in Camboida, correct?
There are 2 different issues.

1. Will you get booked by the police?

2. Will the insurance company pay out?

I believe, for the insurance company to pay out, you need to have an appropriate Australian license, and an appropriate Cambodian license.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

The number of people cheating, false claims etc. makes the odds worse for the average person on top of the profit of the insurance companies.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:The house wins for the group of insured people as a whole, and they lose on the unlucky individuals contacting a serious disease.

But as long as you're not one the unlucky persons you're right.
If the house loses and goes broke, no more coverage for anyone.

Of course it’s an odds game. But gambling with you’re life. If one has a nest egg worth more than the coverage in the policy (and if the policy only pays out once), then it’s worth not having insurance. Otherwise insurance pays for coverage of conditions that can either occur multiple times or multiple conditions.

However if you are only abroad for a short period of time, have enough to cover a catastrophic condition and can cover airlift back, then insurance might not be a bargain.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I ask the question with the Australian embassy here is their relay they did try to get the answer but I think riding a bike without a Australia bike licence I'm not insured Image
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:57 am
Kammekor wrote:The house wins for the group of insured people as a whole, and they lose on the unlucky individuals contacting a serious disease.

Of course it’s an odds game. But gambling with you’re life. If one has a nest egg worth more than the coverage in the policy (and if the policy only pays out once), then it’s worth not having insurance. Otherwise insurance pays for coverage of conditions that can either occur multiple times or multiple conditions.

However if you are only abroad for a short period of time, have enough to cover a catastrophic condition and can cover airlift back, then insurance might not be a bargain.
Some worry about the insurance companies making too much profit, others worry about them going broke....
Maybe I'll just buy some gold and hide it under my pillow nd use when shit hits the fan.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Kammekor wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:57 am

Some worry about the insurance companies making too much profit, others worry about them going broke....
Maybe I'll just buy some gold and hide it under my pillow nd use when shit hits the fan.
Or you could invest.
Say in Australian banks,deemed safe.
Will you win?
Does this make insurance a good idea?
Dunno, just asking for opinions.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic