Deadly durian attack prompts Melbourne university evacuation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Deadly durian attack prompts Melbourne university evacuation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Rotten durian causes Melbourne university evacuation
29 April 2018
More than 500 students and teachers were evacuated from a university in Melbourne, Australia, as a result of a smell initially suspected to be gas.

But it turned out the "gas" that students smelt at the RMIT's library was a rotting durian that had been left in a cupboard.

The durian is a tropical fruit known for its strong, stinky smell.

Firefighters said the smell had moved through the building via the air conditioning system.

The building has now been reopened, Melbourne's Metropolitan Fire Brigade said in a statement.

After staff and students at the university reported a smell they thought to be gas in a library building, they were evacuated by the local police force.

The fire brigade said the building stores potentially dangerous chemicals, triggering an investigation into the source of the smell.

After what the fire brigade described as a "comprehensive search", they discovered that the smell was not a chemical gas but rather that it came from a durian that was going off.

Durians are a prized fruit in South East Asia with a sweet and creamy flesh, but their smell can take some getting used to.
The Smithsonian magazine described it as akin to "turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock".
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Deadly durian attack prompts Melbourne university evacuation

Post by that genius »

Ferking bogans, LOL

Beware the prahok bombers!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Deadly durian attack prompts Melbourne university evacuation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another durian attack:

Indonesian plane grounded after passengers complain about stinky durian
27 minutes ago
An Indonesian plane was temporarily grounded after passengers complained about an overwhelming smell of durian in the cabin.

Around two tonnes of durian, the world's stinkiest fruit, was in the cargo hold of the Sriwijaya Air flight, bound for Jakarta from Bengkulu.

Passengers demanded that the fruit be removed, with some almost coming to blows with crew members.

The airline eventually relented and unloaded sacks of the durian fruit. Sriwajiya Air later said the airline was well within its rights to carry the stinky fruit in cargo.

"When I entered the plane, I could already smell the scent of durian. I complained to the stewardess but they told me to just fill up a complaint form," said Amir Zidane.
Crew members assured him the smell would vanish as soon as the plane was in the air. Unsatisfied, Amir rallied his other fellow passengers

"I yelled at the other passengers 'Who on this plane wants to fly?'. They all chanted back 'not us!!'"

He added that other passengers started complaining and some even almost "physically clashed with crew members".

Eventually, they were all asked to leave the plane while the crew unloaded the durian.
BBC News Asia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic