Australian, CAROL ANN EVANS, Detained for Overstay After Not Paying Her Meal at Sofitel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Australian, CAROL ANN EVANS, Detained for Overstay After Not Paying Her Meal at Sofitel

Post by prahocalypse now »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 am
Her passport number is visible.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Australian, CAROL ANN EVANS, Detained for Overstay After Not Paying Her Meal at Sofitel

Post by Jerry Atrick »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:22 am Is she this Carol Evans from Bundaberg?
https://www.facebook.com/carol.evans.37 ... 1541391520
That's quite a wingnut!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Indeed gm, was just saying generally that if you're overstaying, still fairly recently showered & presentable, & about to put yourself in a position to be picked up, it is a good ploy. I'm guessing if she had no money at all as per the report then her next option was to sleep rough or start to steal (or worse, teach English - the horror!); so she's done a good thing by going out at the zenith, in style, rather than the inevitable plummet to the bottom. :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

She sounds normal!

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

fax wrote:She sounds normal!

Nuclear security....lol!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think it's safe to say that the unfortunate woman is suffering from mental problems and perhaps should be cut a bit of slack.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Here is an interesting article by the Khmer Times about the same woman, which is of interest for two reasons: the first one is, that for some reason, the KT journalist has confused Carol Evans with the Australian woman who was found dead in a hotel room on 4 November, calling her Taylor Mar.

But, where it gets really interesting (for Australians) is when they say that the Australian Embassy are going to stump up for the woman's overstay fine and fly her back to Australia. This sounds like a good plan for broke Aussies, and we can expect to see plenty more down-and-out Australians wining and dining at Sofitel in the future.

Australian to be deported for overstaying visa
Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times
November 6, 2018
The Phnom Penh Municipal Immigration Department on Sunday detained an Australian national for overstaying her visa in the Kingdom and failing to pay for her lunch.

Major Kim Sothea, deputy chief of the municipal immigration department, identified the suspect as 47-year-old tourist Taylor Mar.

Maj Sothea said Ms Mar was found to have overstayed her visa after she was detained for failing to pay for her $30 lunch bill on Sunday.

He noted that Ms Mar entered Cambodia through Siem Reap International Airport on September 4 and was given a 30-day tourist visa.

However, on Sunday, police were called to the Sofitel Hotel in Chamkar Mon district after Ms Mar failed to pay her lunch bill.

“She’s a foreigner that did not have money. She was later caught by hotel security and sent to police,” Maj Sothea said. “She came from a developed country, but she has poor conduct.”

He noted that she was later sent to the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Immigration for further questioning.

Lieutenant General Uk Hai Seila, chief of investigations with the department, said Ms Mar will be fined and deported.

“She’s been accused of staying in Cambodia without a valid visa. She will be fined in accordance with the law,” Lt Gen Hai Seila said. “She is now being temporarily detained at the Immigration Department.”

“She will soon be deported after she’s able to pay,” he added. “We are waiting for an Australian embassy representative to come with money for the fine and flight ticket.”
Representatives of the Australian embassy could not be reached for comment yesterday.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50547523/a ... ying-visa/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 pm
But, where it gets really interesting (for Australians) is when they say that the Australian Embassy are going to stump up for the woman's overstay fine and fly her back to Australia. This sounds like a good plan for broke Aussies, and we can expect to see plenty more down-and-out Australians wining and dining at Sofitel in the future.
Before Trapper boards the next flight to Phnom Penh, it's worth pointing out that when General Hai Seila said "“We are waiting for an Australian embassy representative to come with money for the fine and flight ticket", he might have meant that the woman's family or friends in Australia had wired the embassy the money to pay for the overstay fine and ticket.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:29 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 pm
Before Trapper boards the next flight to Phnom Penh, it's worth pointing out that when General Hai Seila said "“We are waiting for an Australian embassy representative to come with money for the fine and flight ticket", he might have meant that the woman's family or friends in Australia had wired the embassy the money to pay for the overstay fine and ticket.
Twenty years ago I needed financial help from the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh with them pushing hard to get my family to wire money rather than intervene themselves. They did eventually assist me in my request, but not without a struggle. I don't know what embassy policy is now, but it wouldn't surprise me if they told the woman's family there's nothing they can do and the family must take full responsibility.

Just to ad, a letter arrived at my Australian address a week after my embassy visit in Phnom Penh notifying me I couldn't leave the country again until my debt to the Australian government had been paid.
Babble
Expatriate
El Salvador

Post by Babble »

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=od ... rg&f=false

Is this her? Impressive if so and book sales will increase.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic