adopting (buying) a baby

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: adopting (buying) a baby

Post by thePeck »

You just buy one, $1k. If they're Khmer perhaps you get a discount but the half foreign can go higher. Just find a knocked up girl and offer her loy.

Not that I'm making light of it but from what I've seen, "adoption" and I use that term lightly, is fairly between mother and recipient. Now if you want to get them to take out of the country then you need to go through the ministries and paying "fees".
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

no real screening that i know of... but what's the alternative?

shitty parents are better than no parents.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

OrangeDragon wrote:no real screening that i know of... but what's the alternative?

shitty parents are better than no parents.
Yep, I for one never had the innate primal desire to have my own baby. I preferred adoption, granted that's why I undergone the "snip".

Think of it as Karma, better get all I can in this life.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

The screening was for the baby. As for locating one, I think a hospital contact would be useful, compared to going to the market.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

IraHayes wrote:My wife has been talking about this for a while now. She is adamant that she does not want to give birth and she knows at least two couples who have done it. Both couples have not had any problems apparently.
If she's too posh to push (UK term) she could get a c-section.
Scarier than malaria.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

ali baba wrote:
IraHayes wrote:My wife has been talking about this for a while now. She is adamant that she does not want to give birth and she knows at least two couples who have done it. Both couples have not had any problems apparently.
I never understood that. Ok so your pussy isn't all stretched out but unless they have the c-section down better. You have to cut all the stomach muscles and really you're never the same.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

OrangeDragon wrote: if it's not too personal, could you share here to some degree? I think others finding this could probably benefit from it greatly.
Please bare in mind that this is information we have gathered from our own research, some of it is second hand and that at the end you will be able to then move back to Australia as a family.
The process starts after you have been here for a year, the Australian government has just recently changed this legislation from 2 years. You must also be able to prove that you have been overseas for a reason other than adopting and getting round Australian adoption laws. You then go through the Cambodian adoption process and they will check to see if any family do exist, you also need to go through the Australian adoption process which also checks to see if there are any family and this is quite rigorous. As I understand it Cambodia needs to confirm that the child truly is an orphan.
It is important to keep a thorough record of money's paid and it must be done through a fixer. If there is any hint of a "bribe" it is considered child trafficking. Obviously it has its costs and processes to go through, but no where near the same as Australia.
Stroppychops will add any details I've missed or forgotten, he's much better at details than me.
Using Tapatalk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

StroppyChops wrote:I'm sure she'd be delighted to in the morning but the sleeper she stole from me has kicked in and she's making delicate ladylike noises in her sleep.
The tablet you lovingly gave me because I'm sick? Cheeky sod!
Using Tapatalk
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

thePeck wrote:
ali baba wrote:
I never understood that. Ok so your pussy isn't all stretched out but unless they have the c-section down better. You have to cut all the stomach muscles and really you're never the same.
Bring pregnant or giving birth isn't something that every woman wants to do. There are a large number of reasons that may include genetic history of the parents.
Using Tapatalk
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Right, lets just open this giant can of worms I have here.

Un-official adoption, Cambodian style.
My wife has been introduced to a friend-of-a-friend. This couple have 2 children already and no money. She has had to have a C-section and does not have the money to pay for this or another child. What my wife has said will happen is that we will have a full set of tests on the baby. Mainly for HIV but also for Hepatitis etc. We will pay for the test fees and if everything is fine the hospital fees as well. She will then receive all the paperwork for registering a new baby that had been given to the mother. She will then register the baby in her name. I have no intention of returning to the UK and we are working on our long term plan to cover any unfortunate incidents I may have. Basically, if I die, she will have a house, land and a business. She has stopped me smoking because she wants me to live a long time! lol

The above is exactly how her friends adopted a baby. The rights and wrongs of it are open for debate but my wife is not one of those clamoring for a Caucasian-Cambodian light skinned baby and her family are a part of the expanding middle-class so in the worst case scenario and events occur that remove me from the scene she will have support and probably go back to a reasonably well paid job given her office and language skills (she speaks Vietnamese, Chinese and English fluently).

So..... Release the hounds!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic