I want my sidewalk back.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I want my sidewalk back.

Post by Old8404 »

They need the sidewalks cleared off so have someplace to park cars and zillion motos
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm At least at Orussey a lot of the beef/pork and chicken and all the fish are kept on ice.... but at Phsar Chas and Kandal... nope. I have not got sick from meat from Phsar Chas but I buy it relatively early so it hasn't been sitting out there all morning in 30C. As for restaurants I would hope they buy early and stick it in their fridges.
What?? Next you'll be wanting them to wash their hands after going to the toilet / squishing zits / blowing their nose into their hand . . . .

:stir:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Looks like I'm finally going to get my sidewalk back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kandal road campaign set to reclaim sidewalks
Soth Koemsoeun | Publication date 29 October 2018 | 08:28 ICT

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Expects inspected the roads to reclaim sidewalks. Facebook
The Kandal Provincial Public Works and Transport Department will conduct a campaign to reclaim public roadsides and expand roads in the province to 15 metres from the road median from November 14.

The department’s director Moeng Youleng said those with houses or in the process of constructing structures on National Roads 1, 2, 5, 6, 14, 20B, 21, 21A, 21B, 34, 110 and 151A must vacate the area within 15 metres from the median.

Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said the department aims to reclaim public roads from vendors and others who use the roadsides for personal use.

Contact author: Soth Koemsoeun
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

This needs to be addressed because it is a safety issue. When people are forced to walk on the road, where cars and motorbikes are flying past them, there is a real chance of being hit.

Cambodians want more tourists in Cambodia, as tourists bring in money. Whether tourists have a good experience, or an unpleasant experience, is determined by a lot of little things. This is one thing which most tourists dont like, and makes Cambodia a less popular tourist destination.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just another gentle reminder to you guys who are blocking my sidewalk.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... violations
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The city needs public parking garages to make more parking space, just like any other big city. When businessmen figure they can make more money in building full parking garages vs. empty high rise apartments, the use of the sidewalk to park will continue.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm The city needs public parking garages to make more parking space, just like any other big city. When businessmen figure they can make more money in building full parking garages vs. empty high rise apartments, the use of the sidewalk to park will continue.
That demolition site on the corner of 19 and 118 is reputedly to be a carpark, and there were plans to build an underground one under the Freedom Park/Old Market Park as well, if that's still going ahead.

Not that either is going to make a jot of difference to people running their businesses and parking on the footpath anywhere, let's face it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

How will Khmer get from the carpark to the shops?
They surely wouldn't be caught walking.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

It made a big difference when they moved all those cars for sale away from the Freedom Park. Only reason to put a car park there is because everyone and their mom who lives there sells cars.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

One of the biggest complaints in most UK cities (London in particular) is the strict enforcement of parking restrictions, the overzealous - and often hated - traffic wardens who enforce them and the sheer amount of money local councils make in parking fines.

It's not until you come here that you realise the need for this kind of approach.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic