Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

I need a motorbike to get around spent the first few days back trying out passapp n stuff, its handy but far to used to having my freedom to get around as i please instead of having to pay someone to do something i can do better myself
You don't need your own transport but when you are someone who's always had their own bike/car you feel lost without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

I have my experience. I have licence for motorbike and drove a Honda Hornet before my accident (RIP my bee). It more about the fear of this anarchic traffic. No rule, no distance security, no protection, the state of the road, the crazy tuktuk drivers, the big chinese SUV, the people crossing the street like they have a invisible armor, etc...
Sure if I stay for 1 month and more I would but for 1 or 2 weeks I'm still in my reflexion. The possibility to go everywhere by yourself is a nice feeling of liberty.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm I need a motorbike to get around spent the first few days back trying out passapp n stuff, its handy but far to used to having my freedom to get around as i please instead of having to pay someone to do something i can do better myself
You don't need your own transport but when you are someone who's always had their own bike/car you feel lost without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I share the same feeling of freedom about doing the things by ourself. :plus1:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kinetic wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:12 pm No rule
There's one rule: if you can get away with it, do it. That's the rule everyone plays by. So long as you accept that and keep it in mind all the time it will improve your odds.

I have years of moto riding experience but even now I am used to PP traffic from motodops, tuk tuks and walking I don't fancy having my own moto (not to mention I don't plan on staying a heck of a lot longer anyway).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Never road a motor bike before coming to Cambodia clocked up 8000km in a year riding around Cambodia including pp I'd prefer to be in control of my own destiny better than motor taxi mini vans etc their terrifying, my bike hasn't been past 55kph yet and over here probably never will,
I'd never ride a bike in Australia or New Zealand
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

too scary for me!
i commuted for work about 45 minutes each way for around 8 months and i saw maybe 3 injury accidents each week.
many were freshy boys who thought it was hilarious to cause havoc to others.
provincial areas are pretty ok - just not PP.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I drove an air blade, was hit and airlifted for surgery. Recovered and started riding again right away.

I took side streets to and from work to decrease odds of accident at high speed. When I was hit I was crossing Norodom street to get over to another side street and continue home.

I also bought a car when my son was born, but kept the moto for commuting.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

More nonsense by explorer. A bicycle is in no way safer than a motorbike. A bike weighs 8kg, if a motorbike weighing 110kg travelling at just 10km runs into you from any direction, you'll go flying regardless of your "height". You wouldn't want to see you he result of a car or bike t-boning a cyclist...

Cyclists are less predictable as well, mostly because there are so few of them, so locals aren't so used to dealing with them, but also in large part because their turning radius is so great, making it easier to get close calls with bikes that quickly swerve to avoid a pothole or something.

That being said, if you don't feel comfortable on a scooter ir bicycle in Phnom Penh, then DON'T ride one. The most dangerous people on the roads are those who are scared and don't know how to ride. Feet sticking out at anything beyond 1km/h is ridiculous. There are so many other options around, there really isn't any need to ride a motorcycle here. The only advantages are more freedom, faster to get anywhere and low costs. Pointless if visiting though, and I know plenty of expats who either cycle or use tuktuks/motodops.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 pm More nonsense by explorer. A bicycle is in no way safer than a motorbike. A bike weighs 8kg, if a motorbike weighing 110kg travelling at just 10km runs into you from any direction, you'll go flying regardless of your "height". You wouldn't want to see you he result of a car or bike t-boning a cyclist...

Cyclists are less predictable as well, mostly because there are so few of them, so locals aren't so used to dealing with them, but also in large part because their turning radius is so great, making it easier to get close calls with bikes that quickly swerve to avoid a pothole or something.

That being said, if you don't feel comfortable on a scooter ir bicycle in Phnom Penh, then DON'T ride one. The most dangerous people on the roads are those who are scared and don't know how to ride. Feet sticking out at anything beyond 1km/h is ridiculous. There are so many other options around, there really isn't any need to ride a motorcycle here. The only advantages are more freedom, faster to get anywhere and low costs. Pointless if visiting though, and I know plenty of expats who either cycle or use tuktuks/motodops.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic