Cambodia going solar?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Cambodia going solar?

Post by Soi Dog »

Possible $400 million for a solar power plant plus $500 million for oil refinery on the table. I would love to see Cambodia leapfrog into solar power.
PPP wrote:US firms eye $900M projects
Tue, 26 August 2014
Eddie Morton
A handful of US-based energy firms have met with the government over the past week to discuss plans for two large-scale power-generation projects worth a total of $900 million.

According to the Ministry of Commerce’s official Facebook page, representatives from US renewable energy firms Willowbrook Company and Sun Edison met with Commerce Minister Sun Chanthol on August 20 to present plans for a 200-megawatt solar power plant valued at $400 million.

“If approved, the project is scheduled to commence in 2015 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2017,” the statement said, adding that the firms would need to negotiate and sign an agreement with Electricite du Cambodge before getting the go-ahead.

“Once built and operational, the estimated year-one output for this fully operational plant will be 394 million kWh,” the statement said.

“This 500-hectare solar power plant in Cambodia is uniquely the first of its kind in renewable energy investment in Cambodia and Asia.”

On August 22, two days after the initial meeting, Chanthol met with representatives from US power-generation companies Beowulf Energy and Colorado Energy Management.

According to a second statement from the ministry, Beowulf is currently “evaluating the possibility” of investing $500 million into the construction of an oil refinery in the Kingdom.

“Beowulf is the second US company that visited Cambodia after the reverse trade mission to the US in June 2014 organized by the US Ambassador and attended by Minister Sun and businessmen from Cambodia,” the statement said.

Chanthol is reported to have approved in principle both projects and will consider giving the firms the green light upon the Council for Development of Cambodia (CDC) receiving an official investment proposal.

A spokesman for the Commerce Ministry could not provide further details, and CDC spokesman Chea Vuthy said he was only aware of the US firms’ presence and had not yet held formal talks with them regarding their plans.

“I know they have spoken with Mr Chanthol only and I do not know the details of their discussions. We have not received any formal documents from them for the proposals,” Vuthy said.

Meng Saktheara, secretary of state at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, told the Post that he expected to meet with representatives of Beowulf in the coming days.

“We have meetings planned, so we hope they show the same amount of interest with us as they did with Mr Chanthol. But we do not know more details. We will wait and see,” Saktheara said.

“Energy is a long-term project and requires a lot of preparation . . . US business needs to find and secure their place in Cambodia’s future energy development too.

“What we want is a quality and responsible investment. Cambodia is looking for a long-term partner rather than opportunistic [companies]. We are not in a hurry, we are scrutinising quality of investments.”
http://phnompenhpost.com/business/us-fi ... m-projects
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cambodia going solar?

Post by General Mackevili »

Finally...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Re: Cambodia going solar?

Post by badneighour »

General Mackevili wrote:Finally...
For sure solar energy works in Cambodia and places like Oz, if the price is right. The problem is where to store the energy for the time when the sun is not shining ...batteries I am not sure but don’t they cause a lot of environmental problems.. I have never looked into what solar panels are made from, Fingers crossed this will be good for the Earth.
My thoughts are that, if we want to help the planet we should go back to using wood and protecting our forest....Remember when something as simple like a bowl , a bucket a ruler , etc was made from (ash) wood , now it’s made from petroleum.
As long as forest are managed properly, we should use more wood
PS the answer to everything is not to plant trees ...it’s to is conserver habitats as they natural are ....sometimes i think the way ppl go on about Global warming is insane ...and their answer is to spend more...governments are cunts.
I think and was taught that sometimes it’s better to wait and see
FORWARD THE REVOLUTION

I must be high lol
:hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic