Ghoulishness

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Ghoulishness

Post by bittermelon »

Trying to think of a better title but that will have to do.
Last year I was sitting at a bar and a girl said "oh look"- and passed me her phone. At first I thought the facebook pic was of trussed up pig ready to be cooked for a wedding or something (for a second). But then I realised it was a bloody human corpse. A teenage girl who'd been raped, killed and stuck in a pond. I was a bit shocked, not that used to seeing pictures of dead people. Don't get any on my fb feed.
Today, a similar experience, the same "oh look" (or words to that effect). Girl passed me phone, with the music playing loud in the background at first felt like I was watching a music video. An indescribable look on this young guys face as he kneeled and was decapitated by a masked swordsman. Would prefer not to have seen that actually. A bunch of them in a row, in orange jumpsuits, ISIS victims i guess.
So, my question I guess is, this ghoulishness, It's not just a Cambodian thing is it? A South-east Asian thing? An Asian thing? Or just a non-Western thing?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Ghoulishness

Post by prahocalypse now »

bittermelon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm Trying to think of a better title but that will have to do.
Last year I was sitting at a bar and a girl said "oh look"- and passed me her phone. At first I thought the facebook pic was of trussed up pig ready to be cooked for a wedding or something (for a second). But then I realised it was a bloody human corpse. A teenage girl who'd been raped, killed and stuck in a pond. I was a bit shocked, not that used to seeing pictures of dead people. Don't get any on my fb feed.
Today, a similar experience, the same "oh look" (or words to that effect). Girl passed me phone, with the music playing loud in the background at first felt like I was watching a music video. An indescribable look on this young guys face as he kneeled and was decapitated by a masked swordsman. Would prefer not to have seen that actually. A bunch of them in a row, in orange jumpsuits, ISIS victims i guess.
So, my question I guess is, this ghoulishness, It's not just a Cambodian thing is it? A South-east Asian thing? An Asian thing? Or just a non-Western thing?
It's a girl thing.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It’s horrendous.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Dunno about non western.
Strikes me as a fairly succinct description of the differences twix the two though.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

bittermelon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Its a worldwide phenomenon "espoused" by all ethnicity's, for example remember the Peterloo Massacre in England, on 16 August 1819, when cavalry charged into a crowd of 60,000–80,000 who had gathered to demand the reform of parliamentary representation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre also known as the Amritsar massacre, which took place on 13 April 1919 when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Colonel Reginald Dyer fired rifles into a crowd of Indians, who had gathered in Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar, Punjab. The civilians had assembled for a peaceful protest to condemn the arrest and deportation of two national leaders, Dr Satya Pal and Saifuddin Kitchlew.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre to name but two, of course the list is endless. However back then people did not have smart phones to record the atrocities.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

When I was a kid there were "True Crime" magazines that had gruesome pictures and stories, they faded out around the time video nasties became popular. :lol:
I do find the fascination here a bit strange at times, the local papers have horrific pictures everyday, even if they pixelate parts of them now.
Sharing videos like that on Facebook is a bit weird. Standing around making videos of road carnage without helping is weirder.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

As far as Cambodian women showing distressing images are concerned, I'm not sure if it's fascination or perhaps simply being desensitized to gore and violence as Cambodians have been overexposed to suffering for quite a long time.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When you go to societies other than the civilized societies, many people dont value other people or life the way we do. If something bad happens to someone, many dont care, unless it is their family.

Take for example, the Cambodian girls sold into prostitution. Many of the girls relatives know about it. There may be a middle man or woman who organizes the deal. Everyone involved with the brothel knows about it. The people running the brothel work with the police, so the police know about it. But nobody does anything about it. Because she was sold to the brothel, people believe the people working in the brothel have a right to treat her how they want. She is not a human being. They dont value her or her life.

This lack of valuing people is common throughout all uncivilized societies.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

It's simple lack of empathy.
More prevalent in Asia and other 3rd world areas.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:08 pm
bittermelon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Its a worldwide phenomenon "espoused" by all ethnicity's, for example remember the Peterloo Massacre in England, on 16 August 1819, when cavalry charged into a crowd of 60,000–80,000 who had gathered to demand the reform of parliamentary representation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre also known as the Amritsar massacre, which took place on 13 April 1919 when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Colonel Reginald Dyer fired rifles into a crowd of Indians, who had gathered in Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar, Punjab. The civilians had assembled for a peaceful protest to condemn the arrest and deportation of two national leaders, Dr Satya Pal and Saifuddin Kitchlew.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre to name but two, of course the list is endless. However back then people did not have smart phones to record the atrocities.
Not sure what your point is there, hangings being public events in every country, guillotining in places like France, chopping bits off in the Middle East - as in Saudi, would be better example. All countries have used governmental forces to suppress rebellion, it's how you do it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic