Mad, Idiot Honesty - A Very Brief History

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Mad, Idiot Honesty - A Very Brief History

Post by frank lee bent »

I'm dumb. And I don't learn.
on rather thin ice now.

if you have nothing to contribute here besides nonsense, best you find a new set of victims.

given you are nothing to do with Cambodia, I think we will dispense with your nonsense for a while.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 am Ok.
I'll bite.
It's a thread about honesty so...
For the second time BST.
Which branch of science do you teach and to whom?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Doubt you'll get an answer. If he really is a science teacher, it would go a long way to explaining the UK's dismal record with regard to science education. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Maybe gonna get called "captain obvious" here but isn't that it?- B.S.T- a play on words-bullshiter
britscienceteacher
Expatriate
Great Britain

Ignore Zizek

Post by britscienceteacher »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 am
I'm dumb. And I don't learn.
on rather thin ice now.

if you have nothing to contribute here besides nonsense, best you find a new set of victims.

given you are nothing to do with Cambodia, I think we will dispense with your nonsense for a while.
I posted in the General Chatter, the section reads that you can "chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not" (before the thread was moved here).

Please ignore the Zizek link and his article on creeping global authoritarianism. I hadn't imagined that Zizek or his chosen topic would draw so much ire, or detract from the main topic of this thread so much.

Zizek oscillates between playing the idiot and writing absolute rubbish (recently), and writing interesting, informative, articles (if slightly disturbing -and I don't think that I'm alone in that feeling looking at the reaction here - it made me think too).

My chosen topic was honesty. Let's face it. There are many lies around. In any society, ideology is used, and often supported by factual (commonly belived) lies for some group's conspiritorial gain. Movies play stories to glorify these 'facts' (take war movies as an example - arms dealers gaining in this case). There is much info printed in the newspaper which we later find out is untrue. Most conversations that we have are not based on truth. We learn this more as we grow older.

I've been accused of trolling on this thread. I've taken a little time to think about how that could be true. Perhaps trying to elicit a reaction from readers is trolling (I think it can be), but it is commonly used in teaching (Prof. Zizek, Prof. Greer, and many others use it). Socratic questioning is very provocative (not used here).

Socrates declared that the leader is 'good' and set out to prove it using syllogistic (and deceptive) reasoning. The result was satire of the prevailing 'might is right' reasoning. He refused to take it back (and play the idiot) before a court of law, and was hence sentenced to death.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I guess you're not really a science teacher then.....
Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic