Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by bvanfossen »

I see an accident happen about weekly. My best investment since being in PP ( I live here) is buying my moto. I've been on motorized two wheels for 38 years so experience helps, but my head is on a swivel at all times.
If you're not confident and are this worried do not ride a moto here you will wreck. Idk you, shit your fear may keep you out of an accident. Depends on your experience.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

I always tell people that haven't driven in Pp before to pretend it's Mario kart and everyone wants to kill you.

Drive defensively, angle yourself behind a car at intersections. Look far ahead and assume there is always someone coming from the right side roads (without them looking, Buddha is on their side ).

If you get a green light also assume there will be some fcktards that are in a hurry and are multitasking with their phone.

I've had a few small accidents over the years but luckily nothing serious. =)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:17 am
Kinetic wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 am It s curious. In my mind bicycle is more dangerous because of the difference of the speed and more vulnerable.
The safest thing is not to come to Cambodia at all.
This. If you worry too much about things, you'll never do anything. Stay at home lock the door and never go out.

Heck, wasn't there another thread recently about a guy that ended up in hospital after a moto crashed into him standing on the side of the road? And what about Channthy?

Everybody has their own risk tolerance levels.. It took me ages to decide to get a moto here weighing up the pros and cons but now that I've had one, I'm glad I did. But yuh you gotta know what you are doing and be extra vigilant.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Now I use my ebike and it's working out well. When I drove my big scooter I used its instant speed as much as the dual anti lock disc brakes to get out of trouble. Having a 'big' bike with much more mass helps as the little scoots give more respect when thinking of cutting you off or moving out in front of you. The much louder horn helps too
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I might add my above comments are in context of an expat with medical insurance. I would NOT recommend a short time tourist to do so in PP.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Been riding various vehicles in Phnom Penh for over 20 years including motos. 5 years ago I moved over to Chroy Changvar and bought a new Yamaha Jupiter, it takes me 10 or so minutes to get into town. I was doing about 1000k a month but over the last two years have cut that down considerably. For me Its an economical, reliable and convenient way to get around. Accident wise the problem is usually not you hitting someone but someone running into you.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am Accident wise the problem is usually not you hitting someone but someone running into you.]
nail well and truly hit on the head.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Equinix wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:31 am I always tell people that haven't driven in Pp before to pretend it's Mario kart and everyone wants to kill you.

Drive defensively, angle yourself behind a car at intersections. Look far ahead and assume there is always someone coming from the right side roads (without them looking, Buddha is on their side Image).

If you get a green light also assume there will be some fcktards that are in a hurry and are multitasking with their phone.

I've had a few small accidents over the years but luckily nothing serious. =)
Do you throw banana to vehicle too close to you?lol
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Safer in PP than in most other big cities. Try riding a moto in rome or bangkok and you will think your in battambang here.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 am I might add my above comments are in context of an expat with medical insurance. I would NOT recommend a short time tourist to do so in PP.
Yes I understand but depend of the tuktuk for the whole week is a bit annoying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic