Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kinetic »

Hi guys!
In Siem Reap I was like "Hehe, it's easy to ride". In Sihanoukvile " I'm the king on the road!!" with my 50cc scooter... But in Phnom Penh it's another story. I was afraid to rent a scooter because the traffic is dense and anarchic. I took the tuktuk for the whole week and 2 times I saw a car hitting a scooter.

Do you ride in Phnom Penh? And in both case, why?

oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by oopsfermi »

Nope. And in my mind, with PassApp, there's no need.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

It's ok to ride in PP... until you lose a leg or arm in an accident :-) Was is worth the risk ? Not in my opinion...
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

I ride a bike (bicycle) and a car. Bike mostly during daytime, car when it's dark. The bike is slower and higher than a moto and way safer, I'd never ride a moto here.
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

oopsfermi wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:49 pm Nope. And in my mind, with PassApp, there's no need.
Sorry but what s PassApp?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I dont normally ride a motorbike anywhere in Cambodia. There is far too much stupidity on the roads, and the chance of having an accident is far too great.

I ride a bicycle for everyday transport. Bicycles are safer than motorbikes, as they are normally slower. As they are lighter, they are much less likely to cause injury if an accident did occur.

When I travel from town to town, I take the bicycle on the back of a minivan.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

It s curious. In my mind bicycle is more dangerous because of the difference of the speed and more vulnerable.
I saw 16 years old schoolgirl rinding slowly a small scooter and I was “damn if she can do I can too”. But I don t because I don t have balls, grrrrrrrrr!!!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kinetic wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 am It s curious. In my mind bicycle is more dangerous because of the difference of the speed and more vulnerable.
The safest thing is not to come to Cambodia at all.

There are certain situations where you could be injured on a bicycle. For example, if you were hit by a vehicle traveling at high speed. Even then, If I was hit from the front or behind by a car, I would probably go over the bonnet/hood, as I am up higher.

Bicycles get hit less often than motorbikes, because they travel slower and are more predictable. Speed is a factor in many accidents.

On a bicycle you can normally stop when someone does something stupid in in front of you.

Bicycles are less likely to cause injury because they normally go slower and are lighter. I saw one accident where a motorbike was hit in the side by another motorbike. I think there were only minor injuries. They occurred to the leg that was under the motorbike when it went over.

You are not very likely to cause injury to another person with a bicycle.

Whatever you ride or drive, you need to keep your wits about you and be careful. For example, I give way at some intersections where Cambodians would push in front. I minimize my riding on narrow busy roads.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I rode a moto for nearly ten years in Phnom Penh, all over Cambodia and in the Mekong Delta. Never even had a close call and drove drunk every night. Defensive driving is required of course just as in a car.
But a 50cc scooter is madness, no power to get out of dangerous situations.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Riding a moto in PP is fine. Just keep your wits about you and treat every other road user as blind, drunk and in a world of their own.
Driving at night requires extra vigilance given the propensity of road users to drive without lights and at greater speeds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic