Lonely Planet's top destinations for 2019

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Lonely Planet's top destinations for 2019

Post by hanno »

The placers to go next year according to LP. Surprised to see Germany at number 2.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-tr ... +in+travel
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Lonely Planet's top destinations for 2019

Post by Duncan »

I wont bother clicking on the link cause we all know Cambodia will be top of the list.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Duncan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 am I wont bother clicking on the link cause we all know Cambodia will be top of the list.
It is not in any of the 4 categories
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

LaudJohn wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 am I wont bother clicking on the link cause we all know Cambodia will be top of the list.
It is not in any of the 4 categories

OK, OK, If there were 5 categories it would be top of the fifth category. We can blame Lonely Planet for that mistake.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

This lists are a joke. Indonesia???... it's a polluted shit-hole full of corruption and rampant, unfettered tourist development - especially Bali... overrun by hoards of drunken, 20-something Aussies.
You could be next.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm This lists are a joke. Indonesia???... it's a polluted shit-hole full of corruption and rampant, unfettered tourist development - especially Bali... overrun by hoards of drunken, 20-something Aussies.
Lists like these are always subjective but there are a few countries I'd like to visit: Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Belize, and yes, parts of Indonesia (Komodo, Borobudur). Indonesia is a huge country, reducing it to Bali is too simple.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 pm
Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm This lists are a joke. Indonesia???... it's a polluted shit-hole full of corruption and rampant, unfettered tourist development - especially Bali... overrun by hoards of drunken, 20-something Aussies.
Lists like these are always subjective but there are a few countries I'd like to visit: Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Belize, and yes, parts of Indonesia (Komodo, Borobudur). Indonesia is a huge country, reducing it to Bali is too simple.
I didn't reduce it to Bali. I wrote " - especially Bali...".

Yes, Indonesia is a vast archipelago and there are some pristine areas. However, any place a tourist can get to with a modicum of ease has been destroyed by greed and a lack of planning.
You could be next.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:54 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 pm
I didn't reduce it to Bali. I wrote " - especially Bali...".

Yes, Indonesia is a vast archipelago and there are some pristine areas. However, any place a tourist can get to with a modicum of.... ease has been destroyed by greed and a lack of planning.
You had better stay at home then......
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

hanno wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am You had better stay at home then......
I'm not stain' home, but I certainly have no plans to ever go back to Indonesia. I've seen most of Java, all of Bali, the Gili islands, Lombok, E. & W. Nusa Tengara and Komodo/Rinca.
You could be next.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Interesting lists. No mention of SE Asia except for Indonesia, which is fine with me.

Sri Lanka at number 1 seems reasonable, was there about 23 years ago. Skip Columbo and go directly to the railway station to catch the train to Kandy. Stay at the beach near Columbo before catching your flight out.

I suppose Germany is popular with Asian tourists.

Egypt is the best value for some reason. Not sure why...

Seattle and Miami in the top 10 cities seems a bit off, but I haven't been to either, so what do I know?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic