When will my SMART SIM card expire?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
khmerre
Expatriate

Re: When will my SMART SIM card expire?

Post by khmerre »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm I'll be leaving the country soon for four months and am wondering if my SIM card will work when I return. I've had it a while and I have left before for 3-4 months at a time and I vaguely recall that last time I returned I was in some sort of grace period where it was only a matter of days before my SIM card expired. But the balance check codes only tell you the validity of your balance not when the SIM card expires. Is there a firm rule that it expires 90 or 120 days after last use or last top up or something like that?
with SMART usually is 3 months after the last top-up, just the tourist sim card plan has a longer expiring time (it was 6 months a few years ago)
you need to top-up (1 usd is enough) before the 3 months expiring period. I have a smartluy account and I could do it abroad, but a few weeks ago they changed the system and to use the app you must be connected to the Smart network, also isn't possible to use it abroad. But on the website is the possibility to top-up with credit card, you could try it or just ask any of your numerous gf to top-up 1 usd on your number and you will do 10 usd the next time LOL
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah this is usually annoying for me too
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm I'll be leaving the country soon for four months
We're scared shirtless!
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

on a side note, Just asking because I'm leaving KH soon for some time, and was thinking about this same thing.

Has anyone here converted the prepaid smart card's to a subscription line? Seem like so much less hassle that way.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm I'll be leaving the country soon for four months
So what's the plan when you're finished visiting the few shitholes left on your to-do list? Start all over again or did more time in Cambodia?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I'm not happy with Metphone. What does everyone recommend ? Is Smart better ?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I use the phone for calls messages and internet so use Cellcard. I find it has good coverage and reasonable prices.

My opinion.
Dr. Ifter
Tourist

Post by Dr. Ifter »

walkjivefly wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:39 am Switch your tariff to Smart ExtraLong and your credit and number will stay active for 6 months before expiring. If the number is registered to you and it expires, no problemo, just visit a Smart shop and re-activate it when you return. There is a sliding fee scale depending on how lucky/desirable your number is. Bog standard numbers are $1 or $2 but they wanted $50 for my missus' number (ending in 333 so "Bronze" on the luckiness scale). She now has a new number.
This is the best option if you are gone for under 6 months. I switched mine to this via the App just before I left (was out of the country just under the 6 months) number and credit was still active when I got back a few weeks ago :)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm I'll be leaving the country soon for four months and am wondering if my SIM card will work when I return. I've had it a while and I have left before for 3-4 months at a time and I vaguely recall that last time I returned I was in some sort of grace period where it was only a matter of days before my SIM card expired. But the balance check codes only tell you the validity of your balance not when the SIM card expires. Is there a firm rule that it expires 90 or 120 days after last use or last top up or something like that?
for an updated version of events as i just tried this out
been out the country longer than usual and was away for something like 8-9 months
i put my old Smart sim back into my phone to see if it was still functional
i went to check my credit and as predicted it said my number had been blocked to make outgoing calls
but i decided to risk it and i put some credit on it yesterday, and got the the 4gig Surf like Crazy
pleasantly surprised that the 4g works, calling works etc everything just like normal
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

khmerre wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 pm I have a smartluy account and I could do it abroad, but a few weeks ago they changed the system and to use the app you must be connected to the Smart network, also isn't possible to use it abroad.
If the SIM is roaming you can still use *1111# to access your SmartLuy wallet from overseas. A bit clunky versus the app, but it works. Insider rat tells me the app will work again overseas by the end of the year. :assasin:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic