Native English Speaker Looking For Work In Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Native English Speaker Looking For Work In Phnom Penh

Post by Zhivago451 »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 pm white skin and willingness to wear a tie are the main requirements really.
Well I'm mixed black/white. Would that make it harder? As for ties I have plenty haha.
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:42 am
bvanfossen wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:23 am You'll have no problem finding work with your experience
Haha, what experience? Talking to foreigners? What the hell is a self taught linguist?

Jamie has experience teaching English words to bargirls I don't that qualifies him for a teaching job.
9+ years experience working with and translating/interpreting for the Japanese and Hispanic communities through out the central valley here in California. Self taught means that rather than taking classes at a University that teach you nothing more than the basics of how to say Hi and count to 10 which get you pretty much no where if you were to actually try and have a conversation with someone..I took the initiative to study and learn the language word by word, sentance structure, verbs, conjugations, all of it and put it to use in conversation with the Japanese and Hispanic communities which helped me to grasp the languages much more quickly almost as if I were living in the countries of Japan and Mexico myself. Took me 1 year to learn Japanese fluently speaking, reading, and writing and 6 months to learn Spanish fluenty speaking, reading, and writing. I worked in the fields with the illegal immigrants for 2 years where they only spoke Spanish which greatly improved my learning of common colloquial expressions. And though I do not claim to be an expert at English in fact far from it, I am a Native English Speaker with a strong command of the English language and decent sentance syntax structure with good communication skills and a couple of foreign languages under my belt so that should be able to get me a step ahead of others even without a degree. As an employer would you rather hire someone who just graduated a 4 year university and has a shiny new BA degree but no experience or someone who has no degree but has years of experience in the field and can prove it to you on the spot?
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Zhivago451 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:18 pm
I took the initiative to study and learn the language word by word, sentance structure, verbs, conjugations, all of it ... I am a Native English Speaker with a strong command of the English language and decent sentance syntax structure ...
As an employer would you rather hire someone who just graduated a 4 year university and has a shiny new BA degree but no experience or someone who has no degree but has years of experience in the field and can prove it to you on the spot?

If I were an employer looking to hire a language teacher, interpreter, or translator, I wouldn't even bother to interview an applicant who can't spell sentence.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

If you're not white.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Zhivago451 »

prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:33 pm
I took the initiative to study and learn the language word by word, sentance structure, verbs, conjugations, all of it ... I am a Native English Speaker with a strong command of the English language and decent sentance syntax structure ...
As an employer would you rather hire someone who just graduated a 4 year university and has a shiny new BA degree but no experience or someone who has no degree but has years of experience in the field and can prove it to you on the spot?

If I were an employer looking to hire a language teacher, interpreter, or translator, I wouldn't even bother to interview an applicant who can't spell sentence.
You are just picking at things to do it. Im not teaching a class im typing on forums and dont care about taking the time to make sure I spell things properly because you dont pay me to do so. If you are just here to troll then go troll somewhere else.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I don't know which would be worse, having you as my teacher for an hour a day.or tolerating you as a coworker.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just get out and try. be prepared for extreme racism by southeast asians. being american should help you a lot.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

honestly, most of these schools don't give a shit about qualifications. we are like a tame bear shambling around. for marketing purposes only.
lots of jobs teaching little kids esp for females- sing a song, abc, 123, cat, dog, cow, up, down etc.
you can also teach conversational english online for Chinese firms, $10-20/hr.
don't let the trollling put you off.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 am honestly, most of these schools don't give a shit about qualifications. we are like a tame bear shambling around. for marketing purposes only.
lots of jobs teaching little kids esp for females- sing a song, abc, 123, cat, dog, cow, up, down etc.
you can also teach conversational english online for Chinese firms, $10-20/hr.
don't let the trollling put you off.
Working for chinese......
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, like all of Australian workers; as the PRC owns your entire energy infrastructure and lots more besides,
thanks to the coalition and the sellout labor party
https://www.moneymorning.com.au/2018091 ... diots.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic